+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to find a hole in the liner?

Hybrid View

Default How to find a hole in the liner?

I have a small hole somewhere in my liner. It must be very small as I lose water very slowly. Is there any way to find the hole in the liner without replacing it?

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Red face Re: How to find a hole in the liner?

There are ways, I'm having to borrow a computer since mine is unusable right now You can use dye to check any suspect areas, if the dye gets sucked in, you've found the leak.

However, I'd double check the filter system first, especially a backwash line leak or something at the pump or filter!

I know others here can help, but it will be a few days before I can get my computer back on line (if I can ) and find the info I've written on this - I'll check in as I can, but feel 'handicapped' by not having my computer.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

b2001 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst b2001 0

Default Re: How to find a hole in the liner?

My neighbor has gone through two incidents of leaks in his liner. The first time, he could never find it; had to replace the entire liner.

He had the same issue this summer - losing several inches of water every day. He hired a pool leak service provider. I don't know the specifics, but something similiar to the following equipment was used:

http://www.leaktools.com/mm5/merchan...egory_Code=VLD

My understanding is that a continuous connection to ground is established where ever there is a hole and the operator can hear it and zero in on the leak through sound and headphones. In my neighbor's case, there were about 8 different holes; the operator also found a couple that were real close.

I believe that my neighbor paid $200 to $300 for the locating of and patching of the leaks - a lot better alternative than replacing the liner.

You might check into this in your area.

My daughter discovered that if you lay swimming goggles on the surface of the water it magnifies the bottom of the pool. She walked around looking at the bottom and sure enough she found a small slice in the bottom about 1/4" an inch long. we patched it and the water leak slowed down so she started looking again and found two more. No more leaks and to think I was going to replace the liner.

vanman2501

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Is this an above ground pool?
    Do you see any wet spots on the ground?

+ Reply to Thread