+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My nasty pool deck

Default My nasty pool deck

I have a Sharkline AG pool "Coranado" model with the walk around and 3 section (aluminum) nylon carpeted deck. My ongoing problem is the carpeting on the deck breeds mildew and moss. It's bad, the pool is in FULL sun and after it rains and it is one of those humid hazy days the moss grows. It does brown out (dies or goes dormant) when it is a bright sunny day. But there is this mildewy stench that comes from the carpet.

I noticed that water does not drain, there are no slats in the aluminum decking thus the water stays between that and the carpet and gets ripe! I have tried bleach solution, moss / mildew killers and the power washer. The power washer digs up dirt that settles and acts as the nutrients for the moss. The power washing keeps it moss free for about two weeks until the next rains come and dirt / dust / organic matter settles in the carpet.

I have contacted the manufacturer via email, but never seem to get a response.

My thoughts are to strip the carpet off of the deck and use some type of textured pool decking paint or marine decking paint. Has anybody ever stripped the carpeting and painted the surface? Any other suggestions appreciated.

Default Re: My nasty pool deck

Well, 14 phone calls to Sharkline (all to voice mail boxes) since posting this
    and 4 emails to Sharkline and I can not reach the pool store that sold me the pool. As of today I get the number is no longer in service message.

A simple problem and the manufacturer can not even be bothered to call me back. Great customer service!!

I thought I would give an update to anybody who may have the moldy carpet syndrome. I saw a tip in the local paper to use baking soda on your roof to kill the moss. I decided to try that on the pool deck back in April as it started to green up. Since the pool was covered I went heavy on the baking soda. I used about 2 1lb boxes per 5 x 8 section of decking and brushed it in to the carpet fibers. It was white looking when done. I went back to the pool after about three weeks and to my surprise it was all dead and in a state of crumble (the moss). I went back to the covered pool last week and did a second dose - this time a 1lb box per deck section and rubbed it in with a brush. I will be opening the pool in a couple of weeks and figure would do it as a prevention.

Have you considered removing it and replacing with a rubber type floor covering?

Not sure about the rules on this on here, but I found a website that sells a roll-on bedliner coating, used it on the fence panels on my pontoon boat wich are aluminum. the stuff works great, easy to install and comes in a bunch of colors, the stuff was called Grizzy grip do a search and they should turn up.

No. I am not going to put any money into the decking material as the baking soda has done the trick. The pool is built like a tank but they went cheap on the decking material.

+ Reply to Thread