+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bioguard skim mor (skimmer sock)

Default bioguard skim mor (skimmer sock)

Just wanted to give a review of this item. You get 5 for $10 at Poolgeek.com. Only place I could find them. They're coated with something they call Mycelx and boy oh boy do they work.

I ordered them in preparation for next season's pollen problem. (my pool is surrounded by pine trees, 50 ft. away but still a huge problem).

For the hell of it I decided to put one on my skimmer basket even though the water looked crystal clear. Pollen season is long gone now. I checked the sock at the end of the day and it was filthy. I washed it off, put it back on and the next day it was filthy again. I've now done this about 5 times and the sock looks like it's holding up. Don't know how long before I have to change it.

It polished the water and my wife and I agree we've never seen it look like this. Looks like I dumped 15000 gallons of Poland Springs into the pool.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: bioguard skim mor (skimmer sock)

Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Sumo1 is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher Sumo1 0

I started using skimmer socks about 2 years ago and will never be without them again. Don't know if I've ever used them with Mycelx but I do know you'll get that polished look in your water with any brand you use. Walmart sells some around here for about $8 for 5. Since pool stuff is seasonal in a lot of markets, keep an eye out for season-ending clearance prices this time ot year.

Hal
    20x40 IG gunite free form, approx. 27K gal, 60sq DE filter, Jandy Stealth 2hp 2speed pump, Polaris 380, SWCG

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I think skimmer socks are one of the truly great cheap innovations available to pool owners. I usually use one for about a month, rinsing it regularly, then it wears out and I use a new one. If I use 4 a summer, it's a lot, but they are AWESOME!

You backwash far less and your pool is much cleaner.

Caveat: When I go on vacation I REMOVE the sock and cover the pool. That way my father in law rarely has to clean the strainer. I get home, back-wash, and go back to the sock.

The other great cheap innovation is using a little DE powder in a sand filter to drastically improve the filtering. One ten lb box has lasted me years already. I think this is the third season and I'll get one or two more for my $8 for 10lbs. $2/season!!!!!!!

This is going to be a good time to stock up on Polyquat, 60%. It's been VERY pricey this year so I intend to get a lot when the EOS sales make it more reasonable.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread