+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ideal Salt Level Pool Pilot

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: Ideal Salt Level Pool Pilot

realize that the CSI is just a guide and that a range of values is accdptable. Also, running a salt pool on the slightly agressive side is probably a good idea since it will help prevent cell scaling. Too much stock is put into saturation indecies. They are only guides yet the are treated like religions! In terms of agressive vs scaling water pH is the primary factor to look at. Since SWGs do cause a pH rise the numbers I gave include a 'saftety factor' for the inevitable pH rise that will occur.
    I've said it to you before and I will say it again, you are overthinking things and making them more comlicated than they need to be. You also don't have as good an understanding of pool chemistry as you think you do as evidenced by your post on Omni's granular triclor. You have latched on to Richard's spreadsheet as if it were handed down on the mount from a burning bush. Remember, it is stricty theorectical and Richard and I have discussed theorectical vs real world results in depth on numerous occasions. I am not discounting it's usefulness BUT other factors do come into play so it should merely be a guide, not a rigid set of rules for pool care.

You said :
    "From my real life experience and that of my friend a FC of 4, pH of 7.6 or above, and a CyA of 70 guarantees one black algae at least where we live, especially in our old plaster pools."

Was this with a SWG or was the pool manually chlornated and if so, how? It does make a difference.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Waterbear,

I am sorry you seem to be upset. Forums are places where people can air their views, ask questions, and question the speakers, and their responses. I am merely questioning your responses. It is for the other persons reading it to decide what to do.

It is true that I use the spreadsheet as a guide as I believe professionals with college degrees in their respective fields know a lot more than I do and respect their opinion, or in this case their spreadsheet until proven wrong. I do realize that all cannot be held as gospel but your numbers just seem off the mark for me personally.

For this reason I usually follow the manual for my car when setting spark plug gaps and not advice from my local mechanic. He, the mechanic is very nice but not knowledgable about everything, he is convinced that setting a tire speced for 30 at 40 is good in Hawaii because it is hotter here, the tires stay cooler. My ex-brother in law, a former Formula 2 racing champion for many years and a degree in engineering related to autos and engines, told me that that is plain dangerous as it can cause planning on newly wet roads. The tire and car company agreed, as did his other racing buddies. But he did say to bump up 3 from practical experience.

Chem Geek so far has not steered me wrong for that reason I have learnt to trust him. Your specs seem, at least to me, to be a little too wide and general for my taste, others may accept these wider ranges, and indeed it may work for them, as it does for you, but I cannot. I prefer precision, that is just me, it does not mean I am right. Even at a pH of 7.9 allowing latitude to your numbers they still fall short on the spreadsheet. And my real life experience in Hawaii is different from yours in Arizona.

Mentioning my post on Omni's new product "Super Algae Destroyer" was below the belt. I believe there is no question that is too stupid to ask.

While on the same subject I was aware from having "Googled" it prior to the post that it was the same material as Trichlor but was interested to see if I was missing anything, I like to be exact and realize I do not know everything. Also I was hoping that others might learn from this post as so many newbies are naive. See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symclosene

As regards CSI I think as I said I will steer to the side of safety as I do with HOCL ppm, why drive at 100 mph when you can drive at 30 mph and get their at the same time, and have a wider margin of speed.

"You also don't have as good an understanding of pool chemistry as you think you do as evidenced by your post on Omni's granular triclor"

I have none, but then most people, maybe all (except chem geek), who help here do not either. From experience and study they, and maybe I, have built a small sufficient working knowledge to apply it to this very small area of science, of how to maintain a pool. Let's face it, it is not as if we are trying to cure a major disease.

My friends pool for info is a SWG pool.

Ever since I turned my guide into a "Religion" my pool looks fantastic.

Finally it seems that you take issue with the spreadsheet, well that is your opinion and I respect that. You could be right. I have read many of your kind replys on this forum, many of which I have found to be very informative. I especially like the one that discusses pump ratings. But this question was originally about Optimum Salt Levels and this is where we should both leave it for now, I hope you agree. Otherwise we both might become similar to the Dad in that very old cruel and unpleasant joke, "Daddy, Daddy I keep going round in circles" "Shut-up or I'll nail the other foot to the floor." Why do we not just agree to disagree as we are looking at it from two points of view.

To the forum moderator:

If you wish to delete all postings, except the first two, on this subject that would be ok by me, if its is ok by Waterbear. Then it might be a more pleasant post and yet remain informative.
    Last edited by smallpooldad; 07-26-2008 at 05:56 PM.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

I am by no means upset by your posts. I just find it sad when someone turns their pool into a science experiment instead of enjoying it as a pool. But to each his own. As far as it goes, Richard will be the first to admit that his experience is with his own pool and his info is mostly theoretical or based on other's research studies. Also, as far as it goes, I probably have a better understanding of Richard's posts then most people do since I have a similar chemistry background. I believe Richard has made some very valuable contributions to pool water chemistry and our understanding of it. However, how to best impliment them in a practical way can only be found out by experimentation and empirical evidence, IMHO. Also, if you have followed his posts on here and other forums from the beginning as I have you will know that he remains flexible and changes things as new data emerges.
    Realize that not all theoretical aspects of pool chemistry work out in practice. Case in point, Iodine looks to be an ideal sanitizer on paper but when it was actually tried (Iodine based sanitizer sytems were tested many years back between the late 50's to the 70's) the disadvantages became very apparant and were far too numerous to make it a viable system.

Waterbear,

Fair enough, to each his or her own.

I like my science experiment and really love doing it. Every time I look at it I think that I have moved into the Einstein pool operator category. So please do not worry about me enjoying my pool, plus I swim in it nearly 365 days a year. Sometimes I think that it is the only thing I can do well, although I'm told I am good at one other thing.

I am in complete agreement with you that in 10 or 20 years we might find out we were all wrong. I'm so sadden to hear that Iodine has been discounted that was going to me my next area of study.

So the next experiment that I will be working on - more of a natural and social science experiment, which for the most part can only be done on an economical scale in Hawaii, is pool water beautification.

The way it works is that one invites 5 to 6 cute Korean or Thai ladies (fortunately we have an abundance here in Hawaii in ppm - people per million) over to the pool and see if it looks better than it does normally does with my exact measurements. I will naturally work hard to find the optimum number of ladies and make sure the measurements are perfect and exact. Unfortunately this is a difficult, lenghty and solitary task; as any distraction would void my results. I might have to perform many test runs. You ladies might want to try firemen, naturally under 35 only.

Your measurements and mine may be different but variety is the spice of life. We might argue over the exact specifications but I think that in the end analysis we will benefit pool owners and users!

My feeling is although the pH and FC will change possibly going out of range, oh no, I forgot about that. Maybe I will have to forgo this experiment and just settle for my neurotic chemical numbers.

Anyhow utilizing my strict chemical numbers it might be safer as my wife changes her schedule all the time, explaining this experiment might be even more difficult than explaining the relationship between pH, CyA, etc. and heaven knows that gets her all excited. But for you ladies or gentlemen whose significant other have long business trips, or who have no significant others, this might be interesting research. Please post pictures of your results!

Maybe we could start a new reality TV show, "The Secret Lives of PoolForum Members."

Waterbear, looking forward to your future postings (with pictures of course!),

Aloha
    Last edited by smallpooldad; 07-26-2008 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smallpooldad View Post
    And my real life experience in Hawaii is different from yours in Arizona.
    Where in the world did you ever get the idea I was in Arizona? I am in Florida and swim 365 days of the year also.

Waterbear,

Oh well I suppose I was having "Senior Moments"!

That explains our original lack of understanding of each others posts.

Interesting that we both live in states where the average pool owner age is over 105! It must be all those 365 days of swimming! But seriously though, if you get this excited over my posts, it might be better for your heart, if you swim twice a day, 365 days a year.

Many years ago we lived there until we moved to Georgia. Unfortunately I was not permitted re-entry because of my age at that time, under 65.

We were thinking of moving back. Do you know of any good retirement homes with gold lame (missing accent) tiled pools? I'm at the age where I love gold lame, in fact I thinking of buying a full line of gold lame swimming trunks, I've had it with bright pink Aloha wear g-strings, not an auspicious time to wear them at my present age or weight.

My grandkids keep complaining, these kids today are so old fashioned and Victorian. I'm half-German, all the grandfathers in Germany wear g-strings and they weigh far more than I, plus they swim in 34 F water, that is when they are not wallowing on the beaches of Spain, Greece, Italy, Thailand, and of course Florida. I just don't understand my grandkids. My dad always wore them even in the winter in England, and now with climate change one could even wear them in Canada; and believe or not that is the real truth, about my Dad at least.

That is it for now. I'm not going to post any more in this post as I think I have said enough.

Aloha
    Last edited by smallpooldad; 07-26-2008 at 11:36 PM.

+ Reply to Thread