+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Polaris has fallen and can't get up

Default Polaris has fallen and can't get up

I've had a Polaris 280 (pressure side) in my inground pool since it was renovated in 2002. It has been quite reliable, with the exception of little things that go wrong occasionally (clogged filter at pool wall, broken plastic tie strap inside body, bags & rubber treads that wear out, and the tail sponge that magically disappears all the time...typical Polaris things). However, I suddenly noticed a couple of weeks ago that it is often tipped over on the pool floor, whether it is running or not. When I turn it on it will move around, but can barely get out of the deep end and cannot climb walls anymore, and often tips over or does "wheelies" while it is moving around. Suction is still good, but doesn't help much when it's on it's side.

I thought it might be that oblong plastic "float" attached to the back of it. I ended up pulling it off to look for a crack in the seam. I can't visibly detect a crack in the seam, but when I shake it, I can hear it is mostly filled up with water, and I'm not sure it should be. So that water must've gotten in there somehow, unless they come already prefilled with some kind of liquid (which I doubt).

Has anybody seen this problem before or have any suggestions of things to look at or how to repair myself? I sure hope I don't have to buy any more of those outragously expensive Polaris replacement parts, but will if I have to! Thank you.
    Ryan

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Polaris has fallen and can't get up

The float shouldn't be filled with water--they're pretty cheap to replace...but before you do that, try adjusting how far the float is pulled back away from the unit. I would also open the unit up and make sure that all three belts are intact and still tight. The other thing that makes it act weird sometimes is the backup valve. It's the bell-shaped part of the hose about 3 feet from the unit, and emits a spray of water every so often to make the unit leave where it is and reposition itself in the pool. If it is cracked it will give constant backwards pressure on the unit and stop it from moving forward very well. There should not be a steady stream of water coming from it...rather, every 2-3 minutes or so you'll get a steady stream of water for about 20-30 seconds, then it stops. If you see a visible crack, or have a steady stream of water, this is likely the problem. (And it's more expensive to fix than the belts!)

Janet

Default Re: Polaris has fallen and can't get up

Thanks for the tip. It turned out just to be the float. Replaced it for a couple of dollars and good as new. But now it seems my booster pump may have burned up. Tripped the breaker once, reset it, and now the pump just hums. Doesn't sound good. Maybe this is the time to switch to a robotic.

+ Reply to Thread