+ Reply to Thread

Thread: testing help

Default testing help

I have a 23X test kit - got it in 06 I guess it was.

The CYA test solution is nasty and the salt tester never worked.....have been waiting for the new dripper tips....
    The guys are Leslies are telling me one day my CYA level is at 20...which is what I expected since my chlorine would never stay around... then after a couple of pounds of CYA are 50...about what I expected then a couple week later is back at 20....I give up...I need some real numbers.

Same kind of thing with my salt numbers...and they are using strips of some sort - not drops.

Can I get test solutions here or where can I get CYA solution and salt testing stuff?

thanks Kevin

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: testing help

The test solutions aren't available through here at this time...but I usually order mine through this site.....
    http://www.spspools-spas.com and have been very pleased with them. You can also order them through Taylortechnologies.com, but you have to call in with a credit card, and they're usually more expensive than the spspools site.

Janet

I was able to get some CYA solution from poolsolutions.com I believe it was.
    Quick shipping - no problems.

So now my CYA measured 25? I was expecting more than that but I guess the kit does not lie? No wonder my chlorine was bouncing around...I guess the guy at Leslies was crazy?

What about the salt...
    I switched the drippers from alk bottles and tested it again.
    I goes to orange in 12 drops, so 2400 ppm of salt. A little low, target is 3000.
    BUT are the drippers all the same? are the ones off the alk bottles the same drip size? The drips appear to be kind of big, course the original ones were to small?
    Any one have experience with this? Also what about the salt testing solution?
    I shook it up good and it was stored in the dark, heated/cooled basement since I bought it, 3 seasons ago.

Any help would be appreciated.
    thanks Kevin

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

For your salt testing I would forget the chromate/silver nitrate test in the PS234s and get some Aquachek salt test strips. They are actually reverse titirators that use the same silver nitrate chemistry and are MUCH easier to get accurate results from than the chromate/silver nitrate drop test. (They are one of the two test strips that actually work, the other being the LaMotte Borates test strips.)
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by haeffnkr View Post
    I was able to get some CYA solution from poolsolutions.com I believe it was.
    Quick shipping - no problems.

So now my CYA measured 25? I was expecting more than that but I guess the kit does not lie? No wonder my chlorine was bouncing around...I guess the guy at Leslies was crazy?

What about the salt...
    I switched the drippers from alk bottles and tested it again.
    I goes to orange in 12 drops, so 2400 ppm of salt. A little low, target is 3000.
    BUT are the drippers all the same? are the ones off the alk bottles the same drip size? The drips appear to be kind of big, course the original ones were to small?
    Any one have experience with this? Also what about the salt testing solution?
    I shook it up good and it was stored in the dark, heated/cooled basement since I bought it, 3 seasons ago.

Any help would be appreciated.
    thanks Kevin
    From Poolsolutions.com????? that's our sister-site and, to the best of my knowledge, isn't open to orders either.

aylad gave you a good reference.

Leslie's on-line service is another for reagents, as is
    Taylortechnology.com
    Carl

Item Name: TAYLOR 16oz #13 CYANURIC ACID REAGENT

Sorry it was Poolcenter.com that I placed my order with, I will see if I can find the test stips also.

Thanks for all the help !!!
    Kevin

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Poolcenter.com is a pretty good site to order from too, in a pinch, but their shipping charges are very high.

Janet

+ Reply to Thread