+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HELP Laundry detergent in pool

Default HELP Laundry detergent in pool

My daughter put in a box of arm and hammer laundry detergent instead of baking soda. I can't really blame her I had to look for about 5 mins to find out that was what it was. Is there a way to eliminate this without draining the pool it is a 16X32 vinyl liner inground! Thanks in advance for any help

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: HELP Laundry detergent in pool

Yowch!!! I'm not sure what you do besides drain. Sorry to admit it. You MAY be able to use enough bleach to metabolize it, but I'm not sure.
    Carl

PatL34 is offline Lifetime Member Widget Weaver PatL34 2 stars PatL34 2 stars

Just did the same thing myself. Should have known better. My wife should have gone with me, to steer me straight. I am simply going to let Mother Nature take care of it, or do some backwashes to help.

The pool is "squeaky clean" though.

Pat
    20,000 Gallon IG Diamond Brite pool, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump, Hayward Microclear DE3600 filter, Favco solar panels, Poolpilot DIG-220 with SC-48 cell.

+ SWCG OPERATION thread here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=1226
    + SWCG Running Costs post here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=316
    + Effective Stabilizer addition post here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?p=6645

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

The biggest problem with having laundry detergent in the pool is the possible sudsing from the soap-like compounds. As long as you can live with that, it's not a serious problem. There are also surfactants in the detergent that will lower the surface tension of the water, but adding borates to a pool will have a similar effect so that's not a serious problem either. Depending on the type of surfactant, it could be incompatible with some kinds of algaecide such as PolyQuat (incompatible just means the two combine to render each ineffective -- it doesn't mean they explode or anything like that).

Though it's not something you want regularly added to your pool, I don't think it's worth doing a drain/refill to get rid of it. It will eventually get removed through dilution. Some of the ingredients will remain dissolved in the water (the long hydrocarbon chains won't break down) while some will combine with dirt, pollen, etc. and get caught in the filter, similar to a clarifier.

Richard

You might try throwing in some Downey fabric softener. No, I'm not joking. I own a laundromat, and when customers put to much soap in a washer we add some fabric softener and it kills the suds.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I wouldn't. Another chemical with an unknown effect? Bad idea. IF I was going to experiment, I'd do it by increasing calcium levels to make the water harder as suds doesn't do well in hard water--and calcium is perfectly safe in pool water as long as you stay within limits..
    Carl

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

I agree with Carl. Hard water doesn't suds as well and in fact having the CH raised to around 120 ppm is a way of reducing foaming in spas and vinyl pools. In a plaster pool, the CH is already high enough.

Another technique that works in spas is to aerate the water to force more suds, then skim them off the top of the water.

I doubt that enough was added for sudsing to be that much. I just mentioned it as a possible side effect.

Richard

what do you have to do to use bbb in spas

Quote Originally Posted by happyjack View Post
    what do you have to do to use bbb in spas
    You can read the following about the Dichlor-then-bleach method:
    http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/in...howtopic=13634
    Dichlor/bleach Method in a Nutshell
    Chlorine Demand
    Decontamination Procedure

If you want to use bromine instead, then read the following (the links on oxidizer demand and decontamination above still apply):
    waterbear's Post on 3-step Bromine Method

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by cleancloths View Post
    You might try throwing in some Downey fabric softener. No, I'm not joking. I own a laundromat, and when customers put to much soap in a washer we add some fabric softener and it kills the suds.
    Actually, this is not a crazy as it sounds. The detergents are basically anionic surfactants, usually SLS and related sulfates (negatively charged) and the fabric softener is basically cationic surfactants, which have a positive charge (and very similar if no identical to some algaecides used in pools) so instead of fabric softener I would use a cationic algaecide like a linear quat (benzalkonium chlorides and other akyl chlorides) or polyquat to reduce the sudsing. Linear quats do suds on their own but should neutralize the sudsing of an anionic surfactant and vice versa just like fabric softener (or hair conditioner, also based on quats) does. .
    I would then use a very strong dose of enzyme product to break down whatever can be broken down and then shock to oxidize after giving the enzyme time to work, perhaps a few days.
    (yes I realize that this is an old thread that was hijacked with someone asking about BBB for spas but cleancloths WAS onto something that has the chemistry behind it to back it up!)
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

+ Reply to Thread