+ Reply to Thread

Thread: treatment result

Default treatment result

Following advice from szampino,waterbear and other's the stain is gone.I'm in process of bringing the chlorine level back up to the proper level. The chem levels at this time are ; FC .5,CC 0,PH 7.0 ,Alk 100,CH 90 can't do the CYA,ran out of the reagent. I have a question about the copper reading which is .05. When the copper is in solution using (metal free) ,the test kit doen't appear to read it. Is the copper being removed or is the test kit not reading it?
    Many thanks to all that helped! I just hope it stays the way it is. If it starts to come back again any suggestion on what to do would be appreciated. I can post a more detailed procedure of what I did, if any one is interested.

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Default Re: treatment result

You need to add more sequestering agent. If you are getting a copper read, then there is copper that is not bound by the sequestering agent, and you need more, or the copper will fall out again when the chlorine gets back to normal, and if the ph gets high. The whole idea of the ascorbic acid treatment is to get the metals back into solution so that they can be sequestered. Remember to raise the chlorine slowly, and if you see stain start to form, then add more sequestering agent, keeping the ph under 7.2. Let us know how you make out,
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

It took awhile and a lot of liquid chlorine to get to the numbers listed. I added the chlorine slowly 1/2 gallon of 6% at a time. Now that the chlorine is starting to hold ,the stain is starting to come back. I added the rest of the metal free on hand ( about 15 oz) . I will watch it and add more if thats what I need to do?The pool liner looked great no stain anywhere , the water looked fine with a slight bit of cloud. I sure hate to see the stain come back!

FC 2.6,CC .08,PH 7.0, Alk 125, cal hd 200, CYA 80, copper 0.05 or less

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Metal Free is EDTA based and is not that effective a sequestering agent. You will have better results used an HEDP based sequesterant such as Jack's Magic Blue Stuff, Proteam Metal Magic, or GLB Sequasol.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

+ Reply to Thread