+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First time test results for pool

Default First time test results for pool

Hi: I have been a long time reader of the forum. Only posted a few times due to all of the great information in the archieves. I have recently moved to a different home in Florida with a pool and have the following test results. I have a question on the Calcium test. Seems very high. The regents for the Calcium test are about 2 years old. Kept inside the house. The previous pool owner left 1 gal. jugs of Pool Time Algicide 10% (dimethtl benzyl ammonium chloride) and packets of powdered "Pool Shock". I guess that explains the high CYA . Can this Cal test be accurate?
    Thanks!

FC- 13 ppm
    CC- 0 ppm
    TC- 13.0 ppm
    ph- 7.8
    Cal- 820
    CYA - 100+

13,500 gal
    Last edited by tbatti; 07-12-2008 at 01:47 PM.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: First time test results for pool

First thing to do is order fresh reagents. You can get test strips to VERIFY your numbers or take a sample to a pool store and have it tested.

If your numbers are true (and I think they are), the only problem you have is high calcium. THAT is probably due to the "shock" if it's Cal-Hypo. But if it's Di-chlor shock that explains the high CYA. But since your residual FC is 13 and you have no CC, that's fine--keep it at those levels.

But the high calcium can precipitate a white cloud if your Total Alkalinity rises.

I'd test my fill water and if it's calcium free or very low, I'd drain half the pool and refill. That should also put your CYA level much lower too.
    Carl

Default Re: First time test results for pool

Thanks Carl: I need to re-order FAS/DPD reagents, so I'll add the Calcium reagents to the list and retest. I'll also keep an eye on the TA.

+ Reply to Thread