+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My eyes, my eyes

Question My eyes, my eyes

I don't know if it is just my aging eyes but they are not very tolerant of the pool water this season. They start to sting within minutes of swimming under water. I always assumed it was PH and chlorine that were the biggest factors in eye comfort but I am beginning to wonder. Last night's numbers were CL = 5-6, PH = 7.4, TA = 120, & CYA = 30 (maybe less). I have been keeping my chlorine on the high side due to a tendency to mustard algae. From what I've read here, 6 is not a huge number so I don't know what is new this year. Anything else I should be watching?
    34 X 22/15 inground vinyl w/ Hayward equipment

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: My eyes, my eyes

TC 5-6----what is FC? If it's less than 5-6 you have CC and need to "shock" your pool to get rid of it. CC irritates eyes.

pH 7.4--try raising pH to 7.6-7.8--higher levels are easier on your eyes.

You can also try adding salt (sea salt) to your water. Many people find mild levels of salinity to be more comfortable--eye drops and tears are salty.

I'm not sure (again, Chem_Geek and Waterbear!) but higher borate levels may also be more comfortable (You get that by adding Borax).

Finally, if nothing works, you can find a comfortable pair of swim goggles. Ultimately, they are better for your eyes than exposure from swim water. I ALWAYS use them when I swim laps, along with earplugs.
    Carl

Thanks Carl. Whenever I check for CC, I never have it so I usually don't bother. My PH was higher last week and it didn't seem to make any difference. I think I will go the goggle or mask route. Like my 18 year old said last night, maybe I'm just getting old.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

You said your CYA is 30 or less. If your FC is 5-6 that is a bit high for such a low CYa level. It could also explain why you are having trouble with mustard algae.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Well last year my CYA was way high (can't remember what) and I was continually having to shock to get rid of algae. This year it is down but I am still having bouts of algae. I started using pucks again in my floater to boost the CYA a little but I am afraid to let the chlorine drop below 5 because that's when I seem to get the algae. I think I'm confused about now.

+ Reply to Thread