+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Higher Calcium Levels & Stable pH

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: Higher Calcium Levels & Stable pH

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    T
    Sometimes we over-measure and over-organize.
    I couldn't agree with your more, Carl!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Actually was not measuring at all but just walking by the unit and noticed that on a very sunny days this was occuring. It is happening again today, another gloriously sunny day with lower humidity thanks to mild trades around 12 mph.

As you know from the many previous post you have so quickly responded to I have a Pool Pilot Total Digital; it measures and reports pH constantly sampling all the water that passes through it. Most of the water is supplied to it by my roving pool cleaner, so presumably not local.

Maybe, as stated above, this information is not useful at all but I promised Chem Geek I would follow up. Or do you think it is better not to report these minor observations? I thought the China Shop was for this more esoteric stuff, or am I incorrect about this? If so I will stop posting observations.

The great thing about this though is that I am using less acid than I did before. Einstein is quoted as saying something like (although the context in which he meant this is debated) "Compound interest is one of the great wonders of the world'.

Bearing this is in mind a small seemingly insignificant savings can add up to significant savings over time and maybe as we have many sunny days - year round, at least in my local area, this is another great reason to live in Hawaii; saving money on acid. Also we rarely need pool heaters in winter so long as one covers. The other readings remain the same.

Thank you for your diligent attention to my posts. I am really learning more about pools and internet forum etiquette from you both; but most of all about chemistry from Chem Geek, as it applies to pools, and that's great.
    Last edited by smallpooldad; 08-02-2008 at 07:10 PM.

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

You can feel free to post anything esoteric or detailed you like in The China Shop, but you might still get opinions about it.

On intense sunny days there is more chlorine usage and the chlorine level probably drops a little (the SWG may make up for this when the sun isn't as intense). Chlorine usage is acidic. When the chlorine level rises back up, the pH should go back up. So you can see if your chlorine level varies with pH and you can use my spreadsheet to see if the amount is what you would expect. If not, then I don't know what it is -- it's certainly not anything large enough to worry about since it goes both down and back up.

Richard

Chem Geek,

Thank you for the answer. You are correct the SWG is generating slightly less chlorine in this weather in both my and my friends pool 5 versus 6. And your right again the spreadsheet correctly calculates this loss of pH showing I need to add borax, etc. to bring it back up.

But heck I'm saving money and it floats back up naturally so it is actually working well.

Was it not Warren Buffet that said he thinks pennies are important that is why he picks them up? A small difference can grow to a large difference quicker than most persons think. I realized this when reading a book on DNA and how quickly natural selection can change a species. So there is hope for Homo Sapiens after all. Well at least for some.

Aloha

+ Reply to Thread