+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Helping out our neighbour

Default Helping out our neighbour

A neighbour’s husband passed away 3 years ago, and her pool has not been opened since. Before he died, they hired a pool company to look open and close their pool, and generously allowed us use of their pool. Our neighbour is likely in her late 70’s, very proud, independent, strong willed and frugal.

Her pool is vintage 1975, with only ladder access (no steps), and the concrete around is in need of repair, and likely has a couple leaks in her plumbing.

On a few occasions she has thrown out some feelers if I would open it for her. Initially, I was a bit overwhelmed with our own new pool build I didn’t pursue it. This year, I think I could do it if she wanted me to, but she hasn’t raised the subject.

I’m debating if I should offer to open her pool for her. There are a couple of issues.
    1) We live in a suburban area and immediately adjoining homes have commented on the mosquitoes and may be in the process
    of approaching the city health dept.
    Is it safe to leave a pool covered without maintenance for this long?

2) I do not believe she is physically able to climb up and down the ladders to swim.
    I would feel responsible if something happened to her in the pool.

3) I have no problem covering the cost of opening of getting water cleared up, But I’m certain that if I do open it,
    I would identify a rash of maintenance costs due to neglect, and I doubt she would want to pay this amount.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not really sure where to post this as my initial concern is more about pool etiquette/social responsibility, then I'll get into what needs to be done to open the pool.
    Last edited by cschnurr; 07-05-2008 at 11:12 AM.
    Carl Schnurr
    96,000 litre inground, vinyl liner, 1 HP 1speed pump, sand filter, SWG, installed 2005.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Helping out our neighbour

No good deed goes unpunished--remember that. Unless you really like this lady and consider her a good friend, I wouldn't get involved more than a little advice if asked.

It's a pool, not a roof or making sure she has enough to eat.
    Carl

Thanks,

I guess that's exactly why I was feely guilty but haven't acted on anything yet. Its good to get input from a neutral observer.
    Carl Schnurr
    96,000 litre inground, vinyl liner, 1 HP 1speed pump, sand filter, SWG, installed 2005.

Just to add to Carl's advice, I think your intentions are noble and I'd advise her that it could be a can of worms but you'd be willing work with her to get an honest professional in to assess it. You don't mention her financials, and probably don't know anyway, but to be a trusted agent to get the thing fixed, or filled in, or whatever would probably be invaluable to her.

C.

I'd offer to help drain it and remove the mosquito issue. your concerns about on going cost and work are valid.
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

Sounds like a lot of people have brains that are a lot bigger then their hearts.

Where I come from a neighbor that lets you use their pool is a friend and I go out of my way to help my friends.

talk to her, see how she is doing, see what she wants, see what you can do.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by sunofthebeach View Post
    Sounds like a lot of people have brains that are a lot bigger then their hearts.

Where I come from a neighbor that lets you use their pool is a friend and I go out of my way to help my friends.

talk to her, see how she is doing, see what she wants, see what you can do.
    Perhaps you need to read the OP's original post. She's not letting them use her pool. She's offering a trade--it's a business deal--Open my pool and you can swim in it--but the OP already has a pool. So it's not even a business deal but a request to give services for free that are quite expensive.

Suppose she asked him to strip and re-shingle her roof? Would it still be heartless to say "no"?

We live in a litiginous age. If you take on her pool and mess something up (in her mind), or find a bigger problem than you anticipated, she could end up suing you. Yeah, people do that. That's why contractors are bonded.

No good deed goes unpunished. For example: my wife (who had been a mother for several years) went to give her sister-in-law a break taking care of new-born triplets--the SIL's first children. The nanny didn't like the way my wife powdered their bottoms, complained to the SIL, who then got on the phone, and rather than thanking my wife for giving her a day, screamed at her. Of course the nanny was gone in a week...and my wife swore she'd NEVER help her SIL again--and never has. We adopted our second child a year later and she powdered his bottom without a problem.

Give advice? Sure! Recommend a good contractor? Sure! Take on the work yourself? Think long and hard on it...
    Carl

Carl, perhaps you misread my original post (or what I intended to say)
    Years ago before we had our pool, our neighbour generously allowed us use of her pool. Since her husband passed away and she has let the pool go.

I was of like mind as 'sunofthebeach'. We do see her regularly and on the weekend discussed her pool and the need for something to be done. I offered my help, but being the proud lady she is, she hired someone to open and clean it up. They were ther yesterday.
    Carl Schnurr

Great! Problem solved! Sorry if I misread your OP.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread