Thread: Helping out our neighbour

Threaded View

Default Helping out our neighbour

A neighbour’s husband passed away 3 years ago, and her pool has not been opened since. Before he died, they hired a pool company to look open and close their pool, and generously allowed us use of their pool. Our neighbour is likely in her late 70’s, very proud, independent, strong willed and frugal.

Her pool is vintage 1975, with only ladder access (no steps), and the concrete around is in need of repair, and likely has a couple leaks in her plumbing.

On a few occasions she has thrown out some feelers if I would open it for her. Initially, I was a bit overwhelmed with our own new pool build I didn’t pursue it. This year, I think I could do it if she wanted me to, but she hasn’t raised the subject.

I’m debating if I should offer to open her pool for her. There are a couple of issues.
    1) We live in a suburban area and immediately adjoining homes have commented on the mosquitoes and may be in the process
    of approaching the city health dept.
    Is it safe to leave a pool covered without maintenance for this long?

2) I do not believe she is physically able to climb up and down the ladders to swim.
    I would feel responsible if something happened to her in the pool.

3) I have no problem covering the cost of opening of getting water cleared up, But I’m certain that if I do open it,
    I would identify a rash of maintenance costs due to neglect, and I doubt she would want to pay this amount.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not really sure where to post this as my initial concern is more about pool etiquette/social responsibility, then I'll get into what needs to be done to open the pool.
    Last edited by cschnurr; 07-05-2008 at 11:12 AM.
    Carl Schnurr
    96,000 litre inground, vinyl liner, 1 HP 1speed pump, sand filter, SWG, installed 2005.