+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pool Pilot Rubber Washers Cracking

Default Pool Pilot Rubber Washers Cracking

The washers that go closest to the 1 1/2" PVC pipeing which are made of rubber are cracked after only 2 1/2 months of use and while the have not yet failed I am fearful that they will do so soon.

These washers are the ones that lead from the acid, I fear acid might drip down the pipe onto the motor, and the one below it that does the sampling.

As the UV index is so high here in Honolulu this is most probably the cause. Do any of you marine types know what type or where on the internet I might purchase rubber or replacement washers that are more resistant to UV rays and acid, some such animal must exist.

I would ask Pool Pilot to replace them but that seems a fools errand as I will get the same type again.

I would ask Pool Pilot via this thread to upgrade their washers to a better and stronger type on their future production line but realistically I cannot hope that this will happen overnight so I need to solve my problem now.

But as stated below in the previous thread I love my Pool Pilot Digital and my BMW, but even that car could stand some improvements.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by smallpooldad; 07-03-2008 at 01:06 AM.

Default Re: Pool Pilot Rubber Washers Cracking

Hello SmallPoolDad,

I appreciate your comments. The recommended acid mixture for the acid tank is 4 parts water to 1 part muriatic acid.
    The fact is that these parts, including the washer, are from a Rainbow/Pentair Tablet Feeder. Trichlor tablets are typically about a 2 - 3 pH level, which is much lower than the 4 to 1 mixture we recommend.
    Having said that, I'm not sure why your washer would exhibit cracking at this point.

I recommend contacting our main office for replacements.

These same washers are used all over the world, in different conditions, and while Hawaii may have it's unique conditions, there are similar conditions that these components are, and have been operating at, successfully.

If we saw consistent problems with these washers, we would certainly upgrade them to something more reliable...if that were the case. Fortunately, we have not had problems with the Rainbow/Pentair washers.
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

Default Re: Pool Pilot Rubber Washers Cracking

Sean,

Thank you for your reply.

Do not use Trichlor tablets and the acid tank is 4 parts water to 1 part muriatic acid. Therefore I am assuming that this is in all probability UV related, unless the pool person did not correctly install them. I use to have the feeder you mentioned and I would agree that we had no such issues. Will try and take a photo and post it here; maybe when you see it you can inform me if the install was not correct.

One thought did occur to me. It is possible that the supplier to Rainbow/Pentair had their part switched on them by their supplier, one rubber washer looks pretty much like another and unless one tested it (how I do not know) nobody would know the difference. If it can happen to aircraft and auto companies it could happen to Rainbow/Pentair; just a thought.

Aloha
    Last edited by smallpooldad; 07-08-2008 at 11:51 PM.

+ Reply to Thread