+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Pool Vacuums

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by HillBoy
    I am somewhat interested in the Mars HP from Barracuda (http://www.poolcenter.com/cleaners_b...s_poolstor.htm) but cannot find much info on personal experiences with this cleaner.
    I have to admit that the Mars looks good and it's price looks even better but I seem to remeber several negative reviews on here before the board crashed. If my memory serves me right the general opinion was that it tended to self destruct and fall apart after about 2 years. I am still leaning heavily toward the polaris 380 or the letro legend. I like how the hayward viper looks in their little video on the Hayward site but I do know that there have been some problems with some of the earlier production units. Don't know if they've worked out the bugs yet. The Polaris and Letro units both use a design that has been around for a long time and is pretty well debugged! From what I have been able to find out both are pretty reliable and both do a decent job. Just from looking both units over I think the drive mechanism on the Polaris looks like it might have fewer problem but I am not an engineer so don't quote me on that! If someone wanted to give me either one for Xmas I would be a happy camper!

Default Re: Pool Vacuums

I'm in early construction phase on my pool right now, pre-gunite. I'm seriously considering having the contractor plumb & wire for the contracted polaris 280, but not install it. Instead, I'm thinking of picking up the Dolphin Dynamic Plus from Costco. My goal is absolutely least hassle in maintenance and electricity. I'll shell out a couple hundred a year extra if it saves me part of that in power (no daily polaris pump) and numerous hours of tweaking/reparing the cleaner. Anyone have the Polaris 280 or recently switched from it? It would be nice to hear their recommendation on going robotic.

Hillboy, my brother just traded in his older Polaris for a MARS. He absolutely loves it! He said it's much more effective and trouble-free than the Polaris. But, it's only one month old. I read a previous review about lifetime being ~2 years. That's why I posted the reply about possibly going with the Dolphin.

HillBoy is offline ** No working email address ** HillBoy 0

Quote Originally Posted by jabre
    Hillboy, my brother just traded in his older Polaris for a MARS. He absolutely loves it! He said it's much more effective and trouble-free than the Polaris. But, it's only one month old. I read a previous review about lifetime being ~2 years. That's why I posted the reply about possibly going with the Dolphin.
    Thanks for the feedback. I was about to give up and shell out for the Polaris but decided to wait and look for more information on the Mars. That Dolphin looks great but for $750, it had better be so. For now, I think I'll order Ben's vaccum. I've been manually cleaning my pool ever since the Polaris has stopped working properly anyway.

sailork is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst sailork 0

I was about to buy Ben's Vacuum head when A buddy of mine gave me his year old Barracuda G4. (I suspect there are millions of used pool cleaners available at garage sales for cheap.) It wasn't cutting it on his 50,000 gallon pool and he upgraded to an aquabot. I dumped the sucker in the water last Sunday and let it run for three hours. It left a trail of clean wherever it went and completely cleaned the bottom of my 25,000 gallon plaster pool. It ran all the way up the sides to the surface. It misssed quite a bit around the ladder and the top steps. I swept the sides with a Wall Whale and have never seen my pool so clean, even when a pro was doing it.
    I suppose if I'd paid for it I'd be annoyed at having to clean the walls, but for free I'm delighted.
    22,000 gal gunite pool, 1.5 hp pump, DE filter, and dreams of a SWG.

Hillboy, We are going on our third year with our MARS cleaner. Very happy with it. However, last year the pressure relief value did come apart. Zodiac promptly sent a replacement quick disconnect assy.,,,,which was redesigned!

I am in the process of blding my new Ig pool and was talking with our local pool guy. Asked about the polaris and other vacums. He recomended the Mars. Said there were less moving parts to break and it was just as efficent if not more than the polaris. Cost was a lot less. They said they recieved a lot of positive reviews from customers that purchasedit vs the polaris. Chris
    Blding 18x36 IG vinyl rectangle with custom inpool steps, 22,000 gallons. Chris In Chapel Hill, NC us7sail@earthlink.net

+ Reply to Thread