+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PH Will Not Go Up

Default PH Will Not Go Up

I have a 15000 gal inground pool and can not get PH up. Have put 3 4lb boxes of borax in it over a 3 day period and I am not getting much of a different reading.

Used bleach to open the pool and borax to adjust the PH.

Clorine is off the scale exceeding far above 3.0. Ph is well below 6.8. Alk is reading 100.

Using 3 inch tablets in an automatic Hayward Chlorinator and it is set on 1.

What is wrong?

Thank You

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: PH Will Not Go Up

The first thing wrong is that the 3 inch tablets are extremely acidic, so you're driving the pH down with the tabs and trying to raise it with Borax, getting a net result of zero. Stop using the tabs and switch to bleach, and it will help.

Second, are you using test strips or drop-based testing? Can you use the dilution method to better estimate your chlorine? High chlorine levels (above 10 or so) can give false pH readings..usually will show falsely high, but if you're using test strips, high chlorine can bleach out the strips altogether to give you a falsely low reading. You also don't mention your CYA level, which would help tell us whether your chlorine is actually "high" or not, since the chlorine level has to be proportional to the CYA level.

Third, in addition to adding Borax, you can also help raise pH through aeration....kids splashing, return eyes pointed up to the surface, water fountains, anything that will cause bubbling at the surface of the water.

If you have a vinyl pool, it is imperative that you raise the pH to at least 7.0 ASAP--if it's below 7.0 it can damage your liner.

Janet

CYA appears to be 0 according to test strips. I have tested using drops but only have test kit for PH and CL.

Have cut off automatic chlorinator. The only thing that has been put into the pool this year has been bleach. Have not added any bleach since it was opened. Chlorine has been high ever since. Have not shocked it and water is crystal clear.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

With zero CYA, your chlorine shouldn't last more than a couple of days, and won't even last one day without a drastic reduction.....so I would consider taking a sample of water to the pool store, or better yet, buy yourself a good drop-based test kit and test it. Even so, with zero CYA, a Cl of 10 is pretty high, and I don't think I'd swim in it until it comes down to below 5.

The more important problem is the pH, though--keep at it with the borax, and aerate the water if you have a way to do so.

Janet

+ Reply to Thread