+ Reply to Thread

Thread: White mold?

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Exclamation White mold?

Hi all

I was at a customer's pool the other day because of filter issues. When we got the DE filter open the grids were slimy . At the bottom of the pool, where the hopper walls meet the floor on the northern side) was what almost looked like cotton puffs.
    This is a 12,000 gal IG liner pool. The test #s are
    TC= .5
    CC= .5
    pH = 7.4
    TA= 130
    CH= 450
    CYA= ~ 55

I added 2 gal 12.5% liquid chlorine, set the multi to 'recirc' and acid washed the grids - they still were not draining correctly after 2 days in the acid! (I know I should have degreased them first, but I can't pound that into my boss' peabrain )

What I'm wondering is if anyone has had experience with white water mold and if you think I correctly diagnosed the problem.

Oh yeah, it's a SWCG pool.

Thanks much for any input!

Ted (a/k/a waste)
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Default Re: White mold?

I had white water mold the first year I had my pool. I was using Baquacil at the time . The one thing that I remember is that the water smelled fishy . Everybody though I was nuts, but it turned out to be watermold. I did see some long stringy almost tissue like stuff every now and then too, but mostly I remember the smell - it was only noticeable in certain spots, and at certain times, I just knew that something fishy was going on It cost a lot of money cause I was on baquacil - it used up lots of the baquacil shock. The next summer I switched to chlorine and never had the water mold again. Oh yeah, I remember the steps were a little slippery too.
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

+ Reply to Thread