+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sand Filter Sand amount question

kevincad is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst kevincad 0

Cool Sand Filter Sand amount question

After having my pool a few years, and reading here and thinking, I've come to a couple of conclusions. First, when I bought my pool from Rec. Warehouse, it came with everything, including the sand. I remember looking at the sand bags and seeing they were from a local company. I also don't recall anywhere on the bag saying anything like "pool filter". There's one thing, next, I remember there were only two bags, I'm guessing 50# bags. I looked at the filter paperwork and my filter is supposed to take 150#.
    I have my outlet turned so that my round pool (above ground) circulates in a round fashion, and there is always, always very fine stuff collecting in the center, no matter how much you vacuum, after a couple of days, more dust in the middle. So, I'm thinking about changing the sand. I think I have a couple of choices, and I'm curious what you all would do. I could add another 50# and just leave the rest in there. I could also clean the tank out and put in 150# of new sand. Then thinking, maybe I want to add the equivelant amount of Zeobrite, which I think 25# would replace the missing #50 of sand? OR go with all Zeobrite?

Default Re: Sand Filter Sand amount question

I have Zeobrite in my filter and I still have that fine dust in my pool. If I had to do it over I would not have paid extra for the Zeobrite. I can't tell that it does a better job than sand.

Quote Originally Posted by feeshe View Post
    I have Zeobrite in my filter and I still have that fine dust in my pool. If I had to do it over I would not have paid extra for the Zeobrite. I can't tell that it does a better job than sand.
    Thanks for the reply. If you don't see any difference, then it surely isn't worth the money! Do you do the thing with a cup of DE? I may try that. But to make sure I've got the right amount of sand may be a good start!

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I think you should start by replacing the sand with sand you KNOW is pool filter sand. These days, it's frequently on sale for $5.99/50#. That's $18 for 150#--cheap enough to be certain you have both proper filter sand and enough of it.

Then, if that makes an improvement, you can spend less than $10 on a small 10# box of DE. This can be added to your sand in 1/4 to 1/3 cup amounts, (just enough to raise your pressure 1 lb) and will GREATLY improve your cleaning--it will be nearly as good as a cart or DE filter and is far, far cheaper than ZeoBrite. That 10# of DE will last you several years--I'm still on my first 10# box and started using it at the end of the 2005 season--and I have 200# of sand. When you backwash, you have to replace the DE. And, if you put too much in, you'll know because your pressure will go up on the dial, but your skimmer and return flow will be reduced. The fix? Just backwash and use less DE next time.

Finally, start using skimmer socks in your skimmer. These are kind of like cloth Mr. Coffee filters in the way they look. They are pretty cheap too--I find one can be used again and again for a month--and a pack of 3 os $5 - $10--They can be called "Skimmer Socks" or be a competitor. They filter an INCREDIBLE amount of fine stuff before it gets to your filter--in pollen season (which, thank heavens is finally ending) the sock will pull out VAST amounts of the stuff, which looks like mustard-yellow spackle!

Simple, cheap, easy fixes that will yield incredible results. We mods use them ourselves, so we are experienced with it.
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    I think you should start by replacing the sand with sand you KNOW is pool filter sand. These days, it's frequently on sale for $5.99/50#. That's $18 for 150#--cheap enough to be certain you have both proper filter sand and enough of it.

Then, if that makes an improvement, you can spend less than $10 on a small 10# box of DE. This can be added to your sand in 1/4 to 1/3 cup amounts, (just enough to raise your pressure 1 lb) and will GREATLY improve your cleaning--it will be nearly as good as a cart or DE filter and is far, far cheaper than ZeoBrite. That 10# of DE will last you several years--I'm still on my first 10# box and started using it at the end of the 2005 season--and I have 200# of sand. When you backwash, you have to replace the DE. And, if you put too much in, you'll know because your pressure will go up on the dial, but your skimmer and return flow will be reduced. The fix? Just backwash and use less DE next time.

Finally, start using skimmer socks in your skimmer. These are kind of like cloth Mr. Coffee filters in the way they look. They are pretty cheap too--I find one can be used again and again for a month--and a pack of 3 os $5 - $10--They can be called "Skimmer Socks" or be a competitor. They filter an INCREDIBLE amount of fine stuff before it gets to your filter--in pollen season (which, thank heavens is finally ending) the sock will pull out VAST amounts of the stuff, which looks like mustard-yellow spackle!

Simple, cheap, easy fixes that will yield incredible results. We mods use them ourselves, so we are experienced with it.
    Carl, thanks for the advice. I've used the socks before. What I have is fine dust like stuff that, because I have the eyeball pointed so that the pool circulates in a circular motion, collects in the center of the pool. If I stir it up, it's there again after awhile! I'm going to change the sand next chance I get and use DE, I really think it'll improve because I'm almost certain that it's not pool filter sand, and that I think I've only got 2/3 the amount. Thanks again.

Kevin,
    Any update on your fine dust condition?
    Thanks,
    Brian

+ Reply to Thread