+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pool Buster vs Pool Blaster

karrde97 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst karrde97 0

Question Pool Buster vs Pool Blaster

Need some input before I make a decision. I bought a Pool Buster Max CG 2 years ago. I left it charging over night the other day and now it doesn't work at all. I contacted Water Tech and they offered me (3) options:

[Option 1, you can send in your machine in for repairs, now we charge a $45.00 labor fee plus parts it can range from $65.00 to $135.00 depending on what part you would need. That comes with a 3-month warranty. Option 2, you can purchase a new motor box for $90.00 plus shipping. It comes out to be $100.00. That replaces the battery, motor, and charger; basically it replaces all the electric components in the machine. That comes with a 3-month warranty. Option 3, we have a program called the Trade Up Program. Since you are an existing customer we offer you a brand new machine for only $155.00 for the Pool Blaster Max. Now if you wanted to upgrade to the Pool Blaster Commercial Grade machine that would cost $225.00. Shipping and tax is included in both prices, and also both machines come with a new one-year warranty.]

What's the difference with Blaster vs Buster? I feel like if I'm going to spend $100, I may as well upgrade but I'm worried I'll be back in the same position in the next year or two. I've trolled the boards and people are either for it or against it.

Any input will help as I can't go back to a regular vacuum hose since I replaced my o-ring(air leak) on the pump and now I don't have enough suction. An issue I'll deal with next year.
    21' AG 48" AquaLeader
    Central Illinois

Default Re: Pool Buster vs Pool Blaster

I don't think there is a difference between the poolbuster and poolblaster. I believe they must have changed the name at some point. I bought the Poolbuster CG Max from some website and when the package arrived it said Poolblaster CG Max. I called watertech and they told me that the poolblaster is all they sell. Considering you purchased the CG Max, you already have the best they offer. The poolblaster max (not the CG) for $155 would be a downgrade for you.

I'm not 100% certain of the above so you might want to double check with watertech.

good luck

karrde97 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst karrde97 0

I think I'm going to go with the motor replacement for now. Hopefully it's better than the original.
    21' AG 48" AquaLeader
    Central Illinois

Angry Re: Pool Buster vs Pool Blaster

My Bool Blaster Max CG, less than 20 minutes usage cannot be sold for 1/2 price. People think I'm taking them and they wouldn't dare spend that much for a 'used' pool cleaner. In a way they are correct because this product is IMHO junk. I realized it was too 'light weight' for my needs and the exchange policy expired once it was wet. It sits in a box so my wife can scream at me for wasting $320 without telling here about it first . By next year it will be on the 25 cent table in a garage sale along with a few LP's and 8 track tapes.

Hey, I might be breaking the board rules, but I'll take that off your hands for the right price. Mine has been a Pain in the A** recently, been through 2 battery box replacements and such, but it is working well now. Part of the trick is to NOT overcharge it, especially if you have one of the "1-Hour" chargers. PM me if you are interested.

I just sold it finally for about half what I paid for it. It was used twice, and bought only last month. Selling anything used related to pool equipment is tough unless you provide a huge discount.

So the PB problems include:

* overcharging leading to battery issues, i.e no smart charger available
    * moisture in motor/battery box from failing shaft seal on motor
    * rusted motor leading to seized motor
    * failing batteries or maybe blown fuse or fusible link
    * Lack of capacity in filter bag
    * inadequate suction for many jobs
    * inlet throat too small for leaves and twigs
    * inconsistency in name, blaster vs. buster
    * inconsistency in provided accessories. Some say there's came with two chargers and a fine mesh filter bag. My Max CG came with one charger and a coarse bag.
    * The marketing picture showed a beautiful young lady operating the PB, and the PB was picking up 100% of what was in it's path. This is "double fantasy."
    * I hear of many customer no-service stories
    * The PB versus the PB Max CG specifications do not make since because the two units weigh virtually the same, and have the same run time. The Max CG says the flow is about 30% greater. This cannot be since a larger motor or pump will need a larger battery for the same run time. Either change would add additional weight. On the surface of things it appears that the main difference between the two models is just the price. If this is true, then this product may be a candidate for the "hall of shame".

I was a HUGE fan my first year with my PB CG. Last year we had problems all year, similar to yours, rusted non-working motor. I did connect with a very helpful service tech and we went through a lot of debugging. I finally bought a new motor box and wound up with 2 non-working boxes. Fortunately, they replaced both and now things are working.

I think there are a number of real problems. First, I think they are using REALLY cheap rechargeable cells (from China). Second, I think the chargers are lousy for the intended operation. And, I agree that the shaft seals and such are questionable. I agree that the difference between the CG and the Max is open to question, the only thing I can guess is that the CG uses one more cell in the battery (raising the voltage to 8.4 from 7.2 - model cars & planes use the trick all the time - I think it raises the motor RPM, not sure) - but I'm not sure about that (mine have 7 cells, rechargeables are 1.2v per cell, thus the 8.4V).

This year, things have been working OK again. You have to make sure that the switch/charging port is tightly closed when using.

This is a case of an "almost there" product for sure. I recommended it to a number of friends but have since not done so to anyone else.

steveinaz is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher steveinaz 2 stars steveinaz 2 stars

Mine died after 1 season also, I'm not impressed.

I loved mine when I got it first and used to rave about it on this forum. I have now had all the same issues as people have mentioned and it no longer charges. Watertech should have some sort of recall on these things or provide longer warranties as they just don't last. I called them and told them I was very happy with mine when it worked but have had to many issue and spent to much money keeping it running. The batteries are a real issue. They offered me the same options as was mentioned here for replacement. I said that I am done spending all this money on a faulty product which they don't seem to be willing to help with. I also told them I would be switching my stance and going from promoting these to spreading the word that nobody should purchase them as they would just be throwing away their money and they did not seem to care.

You have been warned. Purchase at your own risk then expect it to quit working and spend half of what you paid for the original for another then expect it to quit working, and the cycle will continue.

I love this machine when it works and would certainly purchase another one if they had better quality control or stood behind their product with a better warranty.

I love not having to lug out all the vacuum stuff so much that I probably am going to try and build my own battery pack for this when the current one cr*ps out, which it will. They are using very low grade nimh batteries, it is fairly easy to build a pack using better ones, but that will probably cost $25 or so in cells. Fortunately, I wound up with 2 motor boxes, so I figure I can mix and match for at least one or two more seasons. This thing was so close.....

+ Reply to Thread