+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Proper Startup after new Plaster or Aggregate Finish

Default Proper Startup after new Plaster or Aggregate Finish

I found this post at the National Plasterers Council site. I was referred there by my installer to answer some questions. I thought this startup card was handy and summarizes the proper procedures after a new plaster finish is completed. The document is a PDF and can be found at the npconline.org site.

SWIMMING POOL START-UP PROCEDURES
    The pool finish will start to hydrate immediately after mixing, with the majority of hydration taking place within the first 28 days. This critical time
    period is when a finish is most susceptible to staining, scaling and discoloration. Proper start-up procedures including timely brushing and constant
    monitoring and adjusting of the pool water is mandatory. The following recommended start-up method is based on procedures shown to produce the
    best aesthetic results. Due to unique local water conditions and environmental factors, parts of these recommended start-up procedures may need to
    be modified to protect the pool finish. For example: filling the pool with extremely low calcium hardness, low pH or low total alkalinity levels may
    necessitate changes to these procedures. Brushing and monitored chemical2 adjustments will be mandatory by the homeowner or a trained pool
    technician during the service life of any pool surface. ALWAYS ADD A CHEMICAL TO WATER, NEVER WATER TO THE CHEMICAL.

POOL FILLING DAY
    Step 1. Make sure the filtration equipment is operational.
    Step 2. Remove all floor return heads and directional eyeballs (if appropriate and recommended in your geographical area).
    Step 3. Based on temperature and type of finish, fill the pool to the middle of the skimmer or specified water level without interruption as rapidly as
    possible with clean potable water to help prevent a bowl ring. Place a clean rag on the end of the hose, always placed in the deepest area,
    to prevent damage to the surface material. If a water truck is required, 24 inches (60 cm) of water should be placed at the deepest area for a
    water cushion.
    Step 4. At no time should any person or pets be allowed in the pool during the fill. Do not allow any external sources of water to enter the pool to help
    prevent streaking.
    Step 5. Test fill water for pH, alkalinity, calcium hardness and metals. Record test results.
    Step 6. Start the filtration system immediately when the pool is full to the middle of the skimmer or specified water level.

1st DAY
    Step 1. Test pH, alkalinity, calcium hardness and metals. Record test results.
    Step 2. High alkalinity should be adjusted to 80 ppm1 using pre-diluted Muriatic Acid (31-33% Hydrochloric acid). Always pre-dilute the acid by
    adding it to a five gallon (19 L) bucket of pool water2.
    Step 3. Low alkalinity should be adjusted to 80 ppm1 using sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)1.
    Step 4. pH should be reduced to 7.2 to 7.6 adding pre-diluted2 Muriatic Acid if the alkalinity is already 80-100 ppm1.
    Step 5. Brush the entire pool surface thoroughly at least twice daily to remove all plaster dust.
    Step 6. Although not required, it is highly recommended to pre-dilute and add a quality sequestering agent using the recommended initial start-up
    dosage and then the recommended maintenance dosage per the sequestering agent’s manufacturer.2
    Step 7. Operate filtration system continuously for a minimum of 72 hours.
    Step 8. DO NOT add chlorine for 48 hours.

2nd DAY - Brush the Pool
    Step 1. Test pH, Alkalinity and Calcium Hardness and repeat steps of 1st Day except for Step 6.

3rd DAY
    Step 1. Test pH, Alkalinity and Calcium Hardness and repeat 1st Day Steps 1 through 6.
    Step 2. Pre-diluted2 chlorine may now be added to achieve 1.5 to 3 ppm1. NO SALT SHOULD BE ADDED FOR 28 DAYS.
    Step 3. Brush the entire pool surface thoroughly at least twice daily to remove all plaster dust.

4th THROUGH THE 28th DAY
    Step 1. Test pH, Carbonate Alkalinity and Calcium Hardness and repeat 1st Day Steps 1 through 5 every day for 14 days to help prevent the scaling
    of the pool surface.
    Step 2. On the 7th day, if there is any plaster dust remaining - remove it using a brush pool vacuum.
    Step 3. After the 4th Day - low calcium levels should be adjusted slowly over the 28 day period not to exceed 200 ppm1
    Step 4. After the 4th Day - adjust cyanuric acid levels to 30 to 50 ppm1 based on the primary sanitizer of the pool (pre-dissolve2 and add through
    the skimmer).

Default Re: Proper Startup after new Plaster or Aggregate Finish

Spudman,

You post was very helpful. I wished I had known this and this website 12 years ago when we built our pool. We got no advice from our builders, but sadly this is mostly the case in Hawaii and I guess in other locales as well.

When it was built the pool was extremely cloudy and the filter became completely blocked within hours. We flushed it a number of times till clear. My guess is that it was the wrong thing to do. My question to you or any other person who is knows about new construction is should one by-pass the filter or flush it until the water is clear?

Finally I have a booklet I picked up somewhere where it gave different instructions for white and colored plaster once I find it I will try and post it.

Looking forward to any replies.
    Last edited by smallpooldad; 06-25-2008 at 12:08 AM.

+ Reply to Thread