+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Very cloudy water

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Default Re: Very cloudy water

You should leave your ph low. Do not add any chlorine till you are sure that your ph is not above 7.2. It is better at 7.0 while shocking after dealing with stains. Do not use any more calhypo - I find that it really adds to staining. Just use plain bleach. Start with 2 gallons, wait a little to see if stains start. If they do add more sequestering agent. If not add the other 3 gallons. Keep it there until the chlorine holds overnight. Remember, high ph along with high chlorine will make any metals that are not sequestered fall out of solution. Calcium is a metal - that's why I think the calhypo adds to stains. The calcium will cloud water too. I think your best bet is to lay off the calhypo - I know it is easier to deal with, but once you get your water where you want it, the bleach will not be hard to use, as you won't have to use very much every week if your cya is between 30 - 50. It would be a good idea to know what your cya is, this way you are sure of the amount of chlorine you need. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

I added 2 gallons of 6% bleach waited 2 hours and there was no staining. I added an additional 3 gallons today and hope there will be no staining. Is metal sequestering going to have to be part of routine maintenance for me?

About 6% bleach, how many gallons are required to shock a 15k size pool. Do people ussually add bleach daily? What is a maintenance dose, 1 quart or 2.

The pool water is still a little cloudy, should I use a clarifier. Thanks for all of your help.

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Here is a chart on what you need to shock your pool according to how much cya you have.

Stabilizer . . . . . . Min. FC . . . . Max FC . . . 'Shock' FC
    => 0 ppm . . . . . . . 1 ppm . . . . . 3 ppm . . . . 10 ppm
    => 10 - 20 ppm . . . . 2 ppm . . . . . 5 ppm . . . . 12 ppm
    => 30 - 50 ppm . . . . 3 ppm . . . . . 6 ppm . . . . 15 ppm
    => 60 - 90 ppm . . . . 5 ppm . . . . . 10 ppm . . .. 20 ppm
    => 100 - 200 ppm . . . 8 ppm . . . . . 15 ppm . . .. 25 ppm

As you can see, it depends on what your cya is - cya makes chlorine not as effective, so the more cya you have in your water, the higher the chlorine level needs to be.
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

szampino is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst szampino 0

To help with your 'Bleach' Calculation I've copied a portion of the sticky posted in the Pool chemical section. Figure out where your pool is on the 'Best Guess' guide that Mbar posted and then adapt your pool size to the calculation below:

Bleach for chlorine--regular or ultra unscented. 1 gallon of regular bleach, with a 5.25% concentration will add 5.25ppm of Free Chlorine (the good stuff--FC) to 10,000 gallons of water. 1 gallon of Ultra at 6% will add 6ppm of FC to 10,000 gallons of water.

My math isn't the best but given that 4qt(1gal) bleach at 5.25% will raise 10,000 gal of water to 5.25ppm fc, I think 6qt will move 15,000 gal the same (5.25ppm fc). For maintenance purpose, I think you can use the same math, and divide it in half for maintenance, like this. 3qt will give you about 2.5 - 3.0ppm,

To make things easy for myself, I bought a 2qt plastic pitcher, and marked it at the '2 cup', 1qt and 2qt. I found this helped a lot and makes the dosing pretty easy. Keeping your chlorine at the right level is a must and MAY include adding bleach daily. I think one of the keys is to get your CYA level to a point that your FC holds at your desired level between dosing so that dosing is convienent. As an example, my CYA is about 15-20 and it appears to be holding my FC till I add a maintenance dose of anywhere between 2 cups to 1 qt at the end of the day. The SUN/Temp/pool use affect the amount I need to use to keep my pool at sanitation level.

re: Sequestering Agent - I would suggest adding 'Sequestering Agent' every time before you bring your pool to shock level to avoid staining. You might even need to add a little more after you shock to remove fresh stains.

I don't have any comments on the Clarifyer because I have only used it a few times but didn't see any real gains. So according to me the jury is still out on the value of 'Clarifyer'.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarroca View Post
    I added 2 gallons of 6% bleach waited 2 hours and there was no staining. I added an additional 3 gallons today and hope there will be no staining. Is metal sequestering going to have to be part of routine maintenance for me?

About 6% bleach, how many gallons are required to shock a 15k size pool. Do people ussually add bleach daily? What is a maintenance dose, 1 quart or 2.

The pool water is still a little cloudy, should I use a clarifier. Thanks for all of your help.
    Revived POP
    Intex Blow-up Ring 18x48 round
    Cartridge Filter

How often to people shock the pool. I just added 1.46 gallon of 6% bleach and after about 30 minutes it raised my FC to 7ppm with 0 CC.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Generally, you shouldn't need to shock the pool unless you have CC greater than 0.5. I personally also shock mine after a large swimmer load for an extended period, and after a couple days of bad rainstorms.

Janet

+ Reply to Thread