+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Algeacides yes or no

szampino is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst szampino 0

Default Algeacides yes or no

I'm posting this in the metals/stains forum because I have metals in my pool and have them under 'Metal Control'. I want to make sure that the information I get is relevant to a pool with Metals.

Chemistry:
    FC 2.5
    CC .5 (only slight shade of red and 1 drop changed is to completely clear)
    PH 7.2
    ALK 90 - 100
    CYA about 10 (Is there a way to measure below 20)

Do I need to use an algeacide? Is it recommended?
    Last edited by szampino; 06-08-2008 at 09:18 AM.
    Revived POP
    Intex Blow-up Ring 18x48 round
    Cartridge Filter

stma is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst stma 0

Default Re: Algeacides yes or no

As you kow I'm in the process of the metals issue as well...(actually I'm still waiting to see if the Metal Free will do anything)....

I DID toss 12 oz. of Poly60 into the water not 15 minutes ago (FC was near 0 and temps are forecast in the upper 90's today)..

IF ANYTHING NEGATIVE happens from adding the Poly, I'll post it immediately !!

(When the water turned on you (due to metal fall out) did the water cloud as well) ??

I'll keep you informed

S

szampino is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst szampino 0

The water did not cloud on me this year but when I tried this 2 years ago it did. I think the difference this year is that I took a different approach and conentrated on making sure my pool was 'LiveStock' free before dealing with the metals.

The problem I 'Think' I had last time was that I was so worried about the Metals that I let my pool 'LiveStock' take hold due to the low FC levels required to deal with Metals. Then I was batteling both at the same time. Ugly. I had cloud, I had a cloudy debri. I tried every thing including taking my vaccum and turning it face up in the bottom and middle of the pool hoping to suck up the white cloud stuff. I was so frustrated that I took last year off.

*STMA - I've seen your posts and I'm going to say it again, patience and don't try to many things. You need to isolate the problem, maintain the environment and modify only 1 variable at a time till you can rule it out. Now you got Poly, Metal control stuff, and low FC levels. Which is the culprit? You can't tell. Water Balance 'in my oppinion' is so senstitive. Think of it like this, dumping 4 oz of MA into about 1,024,000 oz of Pool water (aprx 8,000 gal pool) affects the balance. Made me rethink how I 'ManHandle' my pool.

Just some thoughts.
    Revived POP
    Intex Blow-up Ring 18x48 round
    Cartridge Filter

Point very well taken !! and I'd advise others to follow the POPP method as you indicate..
    Incredibly, the pool looks 100% better...but is it the Poly, Metal Out, Low FC OR the vitamin sock i used earlier...??
    I'm not so much interested in the "culprit" as to what I did to improve things :>)

Thanks for your posts'..

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

Generally speaking, it is a good idea to use an algaecide, such as PolyQuat 60, when doing the metal treatment that by necessity has Free Chlorine (FC) levels go to zero during the ascorbic acid treatment. Otherwise, algae can grow. This is why this sticky refers to its use.

In fact, one easy way to get the FC level lower for the Ascorbic Acid treatment is to add a lot of PolyQuat 60 since high doses will use up chlorine.

Richard

Is there such thing as Too Much Poly60 ??? The water now is blue but tremendously cloudy...(actually more cloudy than when I started this ritual)...
    But as Mr szampino points out, I'll let it run a few days and see what happens....however it is great to see blue again (no matter HOW it happened)....:>

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

I doubt that the PolyQuat is the direct cause of cloudiness. It is viscous, but when dissolved it shouldn't be cloudy. However, PolyQuat is also a clarifier so could consolidate particles causing temporary cloudiness that can be removed by filtration. PolyQuat is not a perfect algaecide and cannot usually completely prevent algae on its own without help from chlorine, but it is far better than having nothing in the pool (i.e. no algaecide and no chlorine).

+ Reply to Thread