+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Does local Govt participate in spreading the stabilized chlorine deceit?

Default Re: Does local Govt participate in spreading the stabilized chlorine deceit?

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    But that is negated by proper, regular testing and by adjusting your chlorination method appropriately.

Seriously, the only WRONG way to chlorinate is without testing or compensating when the test results tell you to.

But this is NOT what this clowns of the Health Depts are saying! They are saying : "use trichlor , as the most common chlorination product, which supplies both active chlorine and CYA, but be careful! When your CYA reaches 80 or more you're in trouble! Drain the pool!"

They should say: "Use trichlor only when you have a new pool, and once your CYA reaches 50 STOP USING IT!"
    This should be the only logical recommendation regarding the use of trichlor products.

In both cases, the ongoing testing of CYA is a given.
    This is my ticket for Heaven (when all's working..) :

22k Gal gunite IGP
    38 SF DE filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump
    Raypak 350k BTU Natural Gas Heater and solar cover
    8 gal Liquidator with bleach
    Dolphin robotic cleaner
    Taylor k-2006 test kit

Default Re: Does local Govt participate in spreading the stabilized chlorine deceit?

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    As Carl says, if you measure your pool's water chemistry regularly, then you can stay on top of the CYA level.
    Richard
    You can measure your CYA to your heart's (and Taylor's) delight day in and day out, but if you keep using trichlor and there's no significant fresh water exchange in your pool, your CYA will keep rising up to a critical point. Ain't I singing to a choir here?
    This is my ticket for Heaven (when all's working..) :

22k Gal gunite IGP
    38 SF DE filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump
    Raypak 350k BTU Natural Gas Heater and solar cover
    8 gal Liquidator with bleach
    Dolphin robotic cleaner
    Taylor k-2006 test kit

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

In fact, a vast majority of state Health departments do not allow trichloror dichlor use in commercial pools (and their jurisdiction is over commercial and not residential pools.)
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Water_man View Post
    You can measure your CYA to your heart's (and Taylor's) delight day in and day out, but if you keep using trichlor and there's no significant fresh water exchange in your pool, your CYA will keep rising up to a critical point. Ain't I singing to a choir here?
    Who doesn't take appropriate actions when testing reveals a problem?

We've had folks here who would only take half our advice (the easy half) then run to the pool store for re-assurance and dump 16 different useless or dangerous chemicals in their pool, then come back and complain we weren't helping them!

At some point, my patience ends and I tell them I cannot help them...
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread