+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Aquabot Gets Stuck on Ladder

Default Aquabot Gets Stuck on Ladder

Have a problem with my 1 year old Aquabot. I have a 32 x 16 inground, vinyl-lined pool with a ladder in the deep end. When cleaning at the waterline, as it reaches the ladder, it gets stuck. What it seems to do is repeat a cycle of pushing the ladder ever so slightly (because it's only attached in the ground and not in the pool, turning its wheels, stop (as the ladder slightly flexs back), then try to move again in the same direction. It can (and has) repeated this for hours - not cleaning the pool in full and actually starting to wear the liner. This differs than when the Aquabot hits a corner. Then it will keep trying to move but eventually turn downwards to extricate itself, since the corner does not give.

Has anyone ever noticed the same problem and know of a cure? I may try to build some sort of contraption to create a ramp at 45 degrees from the sidewall out to the ladder so the Aquabot can ride along a surface without getting caught in a corner that has some play.

Thoughts? TIA
    Bob

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Aquabot Gets Stuck on Ladder

No, but I have a similar problem with my Blue Diamond (the ONE problem I didn't have with my Dolphin). My B/D gets stuck under the ladder. My ladder is like an I/G's even though it's an A/G because of the deck around it.

My solution is to remove the ladder. I leave a cheap, stamped wrench clipped under the back side of the rail, then I use to loosen the ladder (only 2 bolts) and lift it out and put it over the railing until the B/D is done.
    Carl

Carl,
    That's one option I considered - my ladder also comes out with 2 bolts. As the pool is approaching 20 years old, I'm a little leary about constantly messing with the mounting area where the ladder bolts into the concrete.

It is the fallback plan though..

Thanks,
    Bob (another north central NJer)

bbb is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst bbb 0

Quote Originally Posted by rnmuth View Post
    Carl,
    That's one option I considered - my ladder also comes out with 2 bolts. As the pool is approaching 20 years old, I'm a little leary about constantly messing with the mounting area where the ladder bolts into the concrete.

It is the fallback plan though..

Thanks,
    Bob (another north central NJer)
    I wonder if a Polaris ladder guard (part #G-21, around $30) would do the trick.
    bbb = bleach, borax, & baking soda

Quote Originally Posted by bbb View Post
    I wonder if a Polaris ladder guard (part #G-21, around $30) would do the trick.
    Thanks for the reference. From what I saw of the pictures, it looked like a permanent attachment. I probably would need to see it in person.

For now, until I get free time to rig something up - I'm going with the "remove ladder" option - I'll just be careful when tightening. It worked well this weekend. Another bonus is that the whole wall behind the ladder will get cleaned (at least at the waterline). The ladder guard will be an option if my eventual prototype fails and I get tired of messing with the ladder.

So much for smart vacuums.....

Thanks again
    Bob

Bob,

My AquaBot does the same thing. I have resorted to submerging 2 basketballs (I have 2 small palm sized ones) under the last step of the ladder which is enough to prevent the aquabot from getting wedged under it. I still have problems with it getting stuck on the return jets but that's a different story.

Good Luck.
    CARLO.

+ Reply to Thread