+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about SWG

Default Question about SWG

I am thinking about installing a SWG system, but have a somewhat different concern than those I have seen addressed here. We have a Springer Spaniel that loves the pool. She gets in anytime it is opened and swims for 10-20 minutes. During this time she barks a lot and swallows a lot of water. What if any health issues should I be concerned about with the salt content in a SWG pool?

My second question is, when my pool guys say you fixture the amount of salt you need by doing a TDS check on the pool is he assuming that all the dissolved solids are NaCl. It would seem that the TDS figure could include other dissolved solids in addition to NaCl.

Thanks

Default Re: Question about SWG

There shouldn't be any issues with your dog swallowing the pool water.

You're correct, TDS will generally be higher than salinity. For new pool water, there's probably not enough of a difference in TDS and salinity to worry about. Typically about 300 - 600 ppm TDS with new pool water.
    For existing pools, it's best to test for salinity, rather than TDS. TDS will mostly be calcium, magnesium, and metals (even higher if you're using well water, copper based algaecides, or mineral purifiers).

Hope this helps,
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

Sean,

Thanks that helps a lot. I haven't had a chem class since I graduated from college lo so many years ago, but that just didn't seem right when he said it.

Davenj is offline Lifetime Member Thread Analyst Davenj 0

I put a water bowl out for our Jack Russell and she goes to the pool for a drink every time. She prefers the pool over tap water. MMmm maybe I should check the tap water.

+ Reply to Thread