+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Solar Blanket Differences?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Solar Blanket Differences?

Quote Originally Posted by NullQwerty View Post
    I was thinking about going without a reel this season and just pulling it off. The guy at the pool store said it wouldn't be a problem doing that and that I'd be able to do is myself (young guy). Do you guys agree?
    Even with a reel, unreeling it MUCH easier with 2. Without one, unless it's a 15' round, takes 2 people to either put it on or off. Still, it will be easier if you fan-fold it as you pull it off--much easier to put back on that way.
    Carl

Dude, trust me on this. Unless you are VERY disciplined you will NEVER cover your pool w/out a reel. It will sit in a pile in the corner of your patio for the whole season. Been there, done that.
    I live in South Florida. I have owned my first pool for 6 years now. 12,200 gal. with exposed aggregate finish, spa with spill over, cartridge filter, pop up bottom cleaning jets, Chlorine by swg. I am eternally grateful for The Pool Forum!!

15'x30' Rectangle w/ ovals at ends 12.2K gal IG pool; Bleach now as SWCG died.; Hayward 1200 cartridge filter; Emerson 2HP pump; 6hrs; Taylor K-2006 La Motte Borate Test Strips; utility; summer: ; winter: ; iPad; PF:9.8

simsjim is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst simsjim 0

I agree with everyone that recommends a good reel. I'll site a real world example. ~ sorry couldn't resist the pun.....

Both my aunt and I have in ground pools and we both use solar covers.
    I have a reel, she does not.
    She will actually come over to my pool, because she cannot take her cover off of her pool by herself. If I happen to be over there, I notice a mosaic of large burnt patches on her lawn, from where the folded solar cover sits when my uncle and her remove it together.

I cannot speak about the benefits of thickness, but I will say I am inclined to agree that going with the less expensive cover, and investing in a good reel will reap more benefit and pleasure than knowing you are squeaking out an extra two degrees with your super-thick solar cover. With the reel, and a bit of wondering back and fourth from one side of the pool to the other to keep the cover from wrinkling up during rolling, you can remove the cover yourself. A huge plus.

I bought a 12 mil blue cover and an aluminum and steel reel about 4 years ago. The reel is going strong, but I think this is the last year for my cover.

If you get a reel, dont forget to ask for the 'cover attachment kit'. This is just a bunch of straps, clips and velcro that allows you to leash the cover to the reel. FYI, I think if you use mail order pool supply houses you may fair a bit better in price, but you may want to consider the cost of the advice the person at the pool store has given you, and if its sound advice, the extra cost may be worth it.

One final caution. My reel came unassembled and the assembly of the reel was not difficult, but would not be something that someone who isnt good with tools could easily complete. The use of a hacksaw and a drill, in adddition to the normal screw-driver, pliers, measuring tape, etc was required for the reel I chose.

Peace,
    James
    Last edited by simsjim; 06-10-2008 at 08:39 AM.

+ Reply to Thread