+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Help w/ Numbers

Service Guy is offline ** No working email address ** Service Guy Not to be trusted

Default Re: Help w/ Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Yes, you need to add acid. Your TA will track up and down with your pH. The acid is dangerous if used carelessly, but pretty safe if you just take basic precautions. With well water, you will probably always fight alkalinity and rising pH. Welcome to my world.
    Actually, well water generally runs more acidic than alkaline, so he'll work more on keeping the pH & Total Alkalinity UP.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Thumbs down Re: Help w/ Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Service Guy
    Actually, well water generally runs more acidic than alkaline, so he'll work more on keeping the pH & Total Alkalinity UP.
    Unfortunately, that's true only for specific local areas. In my area, we have -- within 10 miles of each other -- both acidic and alkaline wells. In other parts of the country, most wells are alkaline.

You cannot make any general statement about well water, except that it's often a source of problem.

"Service Guy", you need to slow down on the posts, and stay away from offering answers on chemistry, till you've read more. Some of your equipment posts have been helpful, but you aren't doing so well with chemistry. Please take a look at my other site, PoolSolutions.com, and read some, before you post on pool chemistry again. If you disagree, you are welcome to say so, but only in the "China Shop" section.

Thanks

Ben
    "PoolDoc"

Quote Originally Posted by dustybecca
    Think I may just hook up hose to a tap in the house, we have a water softner. That should help right? Maybe with the ALK too?!
    I just wanted to say that we had problems with our well water, too. I didn't want to battle those problems every season when I added water back to the pool. We hooked one outdoor spigot to our water softener. It has worked GREAT and I highly recommend it. It doesn't cancel out all our issues (we still deal with high alkalinity) but for the most part it has eliminated our biggest problems.
    Jennie

I tested my soft water this morning, pH was low but ALK was just the same as whats in the pool now. LOL Guess Ill just have to master the use of adding acid, and aerating!

My well water must be like yours. Even the soft water is highly alkaline, so I, too have to add acid. My pool this morning tested at 210, after closing around 100. But then, I just added tons of water back in. The "bigger problems" that I referenced were high iron and other metals and off the chart calcium hardness. The softener does help with that.

+ Reply to Thread