+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help w/ Numbers

Unhappy Help w/ Numbers

Ok here are my numbers, I have a vinyl 22,000 gal pool.
    Chl 2
    pH 7.8
    T.A 210ppm
    T.H 740ppm
    CYA 80ppm

Last weeks tests
    Chl 6
    pH 7.5
    T.A 170ppm
    T.H 600ppm
    CYA 70ppm

Looking at my tests last week everything has went up. Im having trouble keeping my Chl up. Chl and 2oz of pollyquat a week are all Im putting into the pool. I have to add well water occationally to maintain water level. Im thinking I need to do the Muratic Acid thing, but Im not sure. Guess I just want some reassurance Im going to be doing the right thing. I have printed out the Muratic Acid directions and am ready to go. Holding off until I get the green light though. LOL
    Thanks Becca
    Last edited by dustybecca; 04-27-2006 at 12:44 PM.

Default Re: Help w/ Numbers

Yes, you need to add acid. Your TA will track up and down with your pH. The acid is dangerous if used carelessly, but pretty safe if you just take basic precautions. With well water, you will probably always fight alkalinity and rising pH. Welcome to my world.

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Did I read your numbers correct, total hardness is 740 ppm? This is pretty high. Recommended levels are 200-400 ppm. Do you have very hard fill water or is something else going on? With this high of hardness, you are well above the optimum saturation index which means that you may experience scaling and/or cloudy water.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Im using well water to fill the pool, the water in Okla is VERY hard. I am seeing scale around the water line. Thought it was do to high ALK and pH. Suggestions on lowering?

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

It is pretty difficult to lower hardness other than replacing the water with lower hardness water. There are some flocculants that are supposed to lower it but it is a very messy and time consuming process. It may be easier to purchase some replacement water and have it trucked in.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Think I may just hook up hose to a tap in the house, we have a water softner. That should help right? Maybe with the ALK too?!

Yes, a water softner will help but you may want to test your tap water first to see what you are dealing with.
    Mark

Is there a formula for how much acid to add and how long to wait before adding more?

Quote Originally Posted by dustybecca
    Is there a formula for how much acid to add and how long to wait before adding more?
    Bleachcalc will do acid too. I usually wait 4 or 5 hours before retesting. Better to sneak up on the right reading than to blow past it at 70mph. I don't even retest everytime anymore. I know what a quart of acid will do, so I just add it and wait.

OK Ive got the pool churning, (aerating w/ fountain, garden hose w/ high pressure nozzle in one return and the other return pointed to the sky) I've added about 4 cups of acid. Now Im waiting. Ill let you know how it turns out. Thank you SO much for all your help!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread