+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone Else Play Water Volleyball?

chazzilla Guest

Default Anyone Else Play Water Volleyball?

We have an above-ground pool 18X34, with a deck all around. We set up a net, and now have tournaments with neighbors and friends. It is a great time. We play 2 on 2 or 3 on 3. Anymore than that and it is just chaos. We have a bunch of crazy house rules, and it reminds me of that movie Baseketball. My dream is to start a leauge and travel around to different arenas, Just kindding LOL. Anyone else with similiar times?

Chaz

Default Re: Anyone Else Play Water Volleyball?

We have tried vollyball, but it does not work out that well for us. I have a 18 by 40 “sports pool” 5 feet in the middle and 3.5 feet on the ends. With a real vollyball, 3 people a side can’t cover the area. It is really hard to move when you are in 5 feet of water.

We use a big beach ball sometimes when there is no wind. This works ok. We also play with house rules, spiking off of the side of the pool and such.

We play pool badmitten also. This works well, the birdie floats and moves slow and your reach is greater with a racket.

The best game we play is full court basketball. I have two regulation size goals, we play several times a week all summer long.

what do you use for a ball?
    Last edited by sunofthebeach; 05-22-2006 at 10:35 AM.

chazzilla Guest

That is a funny story. We searched everywhere for a water-proof ball. Or one made of plastic. I Found one online for $40 that glowed in the dark, which would have been cool, but that is too much. One by one they all failed(the seams gave out or other stuff like that), or didn't feel right. One day my buddy bought a cheapy $8.00 volleyball from Wal-Mart, I don't know if it is real leather, but it feels like it. Anyway it has been our ball for two years. The ball I have been avoiding for many years turns out to be the most water-proof one out there.

Basketball huh? What are your dribbling rules, and how high are the goals.

VOLDADDY is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher VOLDADDY 1 star

Chaz-We have the combination volleyball/basketball set and it is a blast! We play horse and volleyball all the time. I have an 18 x 36 IG pool, 3' to 8'. We run the net across the shallow end. We always play men against women, with the women getting the shallow end. We play on the side that starts dropping off. If you haven't played volleyball in your pool you are missing great fun! My set is 2 years old and it came with a basketball and a volleyball, both of which we are still using. I think it is made by SwimWays or something like that. I paid $119 for it, and saw the Leslie's ad this week and they have it on sale for $69! Best $69 you will ever spend.

Quote Originally Posted by chazzilla
    That is a funny story. We searched everywhere for a water-proof ball. Or one made of plastic. I Found one online for $40 that glowed in the dark, which would have been cool, but that is too much. One by one they all failed(the seams gave out or other stuff like that), or didn't feel right. One day my buddy bought a cheapy $8.00 volleyball from Wal-Mart, I don't know if it is real leather, but it feels like it. Anyway it has been our ball for two years. The ball I have been avoiding for many years turns out to be the most water-proof one out there.

Basketball huh? What are your dribbling rules, and how high are the goals.

Dribbling is holding the ball with one hand out of the water. If you switch and hold the ball with two hands, you stopped dribbiling and can not move.
    It is pretty easy to stop someones progress by going after the ball. You can't really drive the lane with our dribbiling rule, because it is easy to stop someone, with only 1 hand on the ball.

We call double dribble.

Our goals are set on the lowest adjustable setting, there about 8 feet from the bottom of the pool.

Sonofthebeach are you using a specific Pool Basketball Goal or just a regular adjustable one from a sports store? I have never seen a pool one that doesn't just sit on the edge of the pool, maybe 6-18 inches above the pool deck.

PS I think it is funny you don't like to play volley ball in your sports pool. they are designed for playing water volley ball for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by LostboyinVA
    Sonofthebeach are you using a specific Pool Basketball Goal or just a regular adjustable one from a sports store? I have never seen a pool one that doesn't just sit on the edge of the pool, maybe 6-18 inches above the pool deck.

PS I think it is funny you don't like to play volley ball in your sports pool. they are designed for playing water volley ball for the most part.

We use regular goals from Sports Authority. I have the adjustable kind so I adjust them to the lowest level. They are about 8 feet from the ground when you are in the pool.

As far as dribbiling goes, you are dribbiling, when you hold the ball with 1 hand out of the water. If you ever hold the ball with two hands, you stopped dribbiling and can not move. We call double dribble. This works pretty well because it is fairly easy to knock the ball out of someones hand when they are holding it with one hand.

+ Reply to Thread