+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: pump hums

Default pump hums-new question

Just opening the pool and i primed the pump, but it just hums. same thing happened last year when i first opened the pool, the pump just hummed and i followed the advise of this forum in explaining to me how to get the impreller to start, which it did and the pump worked all last summer without any problems. now it's doing just as last year, the pump just hums.... my pump is 15 years old, it is a hayward superpump, self priming. i have an inground 21,000 gallons. my question is, should i do as you guys instructed last year with the impreller and try to get the pump running or do i just need to go ahead and buy a new pump since this one is 15 years old and it done this last year? please advise me as to what to do. i really need your help. thank you
    Last edited by poolhelp101; 05-28-2008 at 06:36 PM. Reason: add to title

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Default Re: pump hums

I would try what you did last year first, you have nothing to lose, if it doesn't work, then buy a new pump
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

markphin is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst markphin 1 star

15 years from a pump. Pretty good. That pump owes you nothing. replace it.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Yeah...it ows you nothing but if it is a simple fix then save some $$$. Check this thread:
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=4800
    Could be something as simple and cheap as a crummy starter switch or bad starting capacitor.
    Al

it was a simple fix of just spinning the impeller and i have had no problems since. but i am concerned of the pumps age and wanted your opinion as to whether you think i should think of replacing it after this year. looks like my liner is also on its way out as it is also 15 years old also and i am now getting tears above water level.
    Last edited by poolhelp101; 05-27-2008 at 10:45 PM. Reason: spelling erro

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

If it would give you peace of mind then replace it. At least do your homework and figure what you want and where to get it when the time comes. I'd milk the old one for all you can. Then again, some people say I'm a packrat and never replace anything unless I have to.
    Al

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Poconos View Post
    Then again, some people say I'm a packrat and never replace anything unless I have to.
    Al

YA THINK???? You forgot to tell the part about not only will you never replace anything unless it is totally dead, but then you want to keep all the old useless dead stuff around the house, too!!!!
    Last edited by Watermom; 05-28-2008 at 11:03 AM.

Default Re: pump hums-new question

i have a heater and i noticed a leak from the screw that is underneath the pipe that goes to the heater. this screw is what i have to unscrew when i close for the winter. i did tighten it when i opened it but there is a drip. i put a small pail underneath it last night and this evening the pail is full. when i emptied the pail i also noticed the water was warm to touch. i do not have the heater going yet so i couldn't figure why the water was so warm. then i noticed the pump motor was hot to touch...i have never noticed the motor being hot before, but i never really have ever touched it...is that normal? i shut the pump off and i could hear a hissing. i put my finger underneath this screw and the hissing stopped. can you give me advise about the leak and if that is normal about the pump motor. thanks

That drain plug is easy. Take it out and wrap about 10 turns of teflon pipe tape on the threads and screw it back in. Tighten until the leaking stops and be careful not to overtighten. As for the motor, they do run hot especially if in direct sun. Think I remember 140F or so on mine with an IR thermometer and that's inside a poolhouse. Could the water just feel warm because the air was cool? Only way a pump could heat water significantly is for the flow to be almost blocked and pumping only a trickle then all thre energy from the motor goes into heating water rather than moving it.
    Al

I just had a similar experience with an old Anthony that became sick beyond repair. The advantage of having a Hayward is that everyone carries new ones and can serve old ones.
    You can get a new Hayward SP 1 HP at a store for $350 and for $300 plus shipping on the Net.
    I got mine at Seasonal brick and mortar pool supplies store for $350 with two years P&L warranty.

If I were you, I'd take the old pump to a dealer who offers both repairs and new ones at a reasonable price. They can open it up and assess what needs to be done at what price. If only one or two parts need to be replaced and everything else is in good shape and there's no corrosion I'd go for repair if it's no more than $100. Otherwise I'd go for a new one.
    Make sure you tell the dealer that you're committed to get his service/sale no matter what way you choose.
    Be cautious : Some dealers may quote you $500 for the same pump. Make sure you have a quote of $350 or less before you bring it for repair.
    This is my ticket for Heaven (when all's working..) :

22k Gal gunite IGP
    38 SF DE filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump
    Raypak 350k BTU Natural Gas Heater and solar cover
    8 gal Liquidator with bleach
    Dolphin robotic cleaner
    Taylor k-2006 test kit

+ Reply to Thread