+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pump Replacement

Cool Pump Replacement

Hey Gang,
    Need some help. My wife wanted to open the pool this weekend, we got all the chemicals in and then the pump motor died. I have reviewed a lot of posts in the pump area but still have some questions. Can I buy just a pump motor and not the skimmer basket? I do not want to cut and rebond the pvc connections. Looks like four bolts and switch out the electric if I can just buy the motor. Do not know what horse power I have. Some stats if this helps. 25000 IG pool with one skimmer and one return. Have a Hayward selfprining super pump motor now. 115/230 rpm 3450 type vac class b sf1.1 code j. This is all I can read on the motor. It is hooked to a sand Starite system 3 filter 48.1 gpm max flowrate. Any help out there? Is this a hard thing to do? Want to order tomorrow and hook back up Tuesday.
    Thanks,
    Scott

Default Re: Pump Replacement

No, it's not hard. There are a couple of things that can be replaced on the motor. The starting capacitor is a cheap, easy fix. Usually the motor will hum or buzz but won't spin if the capacitor is bad. There is also a thermal protection device that will trip after the motor runs a while that can fail as well.

Smile Re: Pump Replacement

John
    Thanks for the encouragement. Needed a new pump and replaced it with a 3/4 hp Hayward. All is well.
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread