+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3/4" pipe?

Default 3/4" pipe?

I have a 30,000 gallon IG pool with a 244T hayward sand filter. My pool is losing about 2" of water a day out of a 3/4" pipe. It is not the waste or backwash line. Does anyone have an idea of what this pipe could be?

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: 3/4" pipe?

No idea based on info so far.

Where is this pipe?
    Is it broken or cracked or is it hanging in the open like a discharge or something?
    Is it losing water only when the pump is running?
    Can you see where it is connected in the system?

Al

Sorry for the lack off info. I guess I thought you could read my mind!

I do not know what the pipe is connected to. It is burried and it does not come from the pump or the filter. The pipe runs underground from somewhere in the pool and drains into the street. The water flow is continuous wether the pump is on or off. When I asked our local pool store they said they thought it was probably a winter overflow. I cannot figure out what this pipe connects to. All of the jet lines and drain lines are accounted for, I think

Any ideas?????????????????

that's a small pipe for a pool. is it white pvc? is it from a heater? do you have a polaris pool cleaner? how far below the skimmer and drain is the end of the pipe in the street? could there be a leak under the pool and this is a drain line to prevent cave-ins? are your refilling the pool while it's leaking? What happens if you plug the drain line? Is there back up any where?

Just wondering?

Yes, It is white PVC. No, it is not from a heater. We do not have a polaris pool cleaner but the original pool owners did! It is probably a few feet below the pump and skimmers but it is not lower than the drain. My original thought is that it was a back up drain for leaks but the pool people (without looking at it) said there is no such thing. I have quit refilling the pool to see if it stops at a certain level. Right now, the level is 4 inched below the skimmer.

Thanks for any input!

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Could it be an overflow line? It would seem to be a bit low for an overflow line. Is your normal pool level different than it use to be?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

With the pool already being lower than the skimmer I don't think it could be an overflow.

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Then the other option could be a fill line.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

+ Reply to Thread