+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pool Pilot Total Digital ORP Calibration and Maintenance

Default Pool Pilot Total Digital ORP Calibration and Maintenance

I think this question is for Sean.

Firstly let me state that we are extremely happy with the unit it seems to perform exactly as hoped for. The manual however could be more clearly written.

On our PoolPilot Total Digital how is the ORP calibrated?

When I initially installed the units two days ago, the pool read as follows (mostly Taylor liquid tests):

Temp 82
    FC 6
    pH 7.5
    Ca 375
    Alk 90
    cYA 42
    Borate 50
    Salt 3200

The question is does the ORP unit self-calibrate or should one of these readings be different to calibrate it correctly? I noticed that some manufacturers have calibrating solutions and specific instructions to do this, as far as I can see from the manual there are no specific instructions. So I am not sure if I am getting the correct ORP readings.

Finally after scouring the internet it seems that ORP and pH sensors are best cleaned bi-weekly to get correct readings. Is this too often? What would Autopilot recommended? The manual only states periodically this is a little vague.

The Stenner pump requires maintance, there is a good YouTube video of how to replace it here ( I hope this might help others):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNNC5-R4wpg

and Stenner's own website video here:

http://www.stenner.com/AOP-Tube-Replacement.htm

Here they supply instructions and a service kit:

http://www.stenner.com/download/CIMM2008_P.pdf

After viewing these videos I am not sure how we would get the pump to rotate as they are hard wired into the controller. I suppose we could always use "prime pump" and turn it off.

Looking forward to your reply.
    Last edited by smallpooldad; 05-09-2008 at 04:18 AM.

Default Re: Pool Pilot Total Digital ORP Calibration and Maintenance

You cannot calibrate the ORP. ORP Calibration solution is used only to determine if the sensor is good or not.

It is a good idea to periodically remove and clean the sensors. We recommend periodically because after a while, you learn your system and realize that even biweekly may be too often. For pools in hardwater conditions, biweekly may be not enough!
    Periodically is vague, but covers both conditions.

Regarding the method for removing the Stenner feed tube, the Stenner Pump should be mounted in the housing, which just slides onto the rails on the left and right sides of the housing. There are 4 screws that are attached, ONLY FOR SHIPPING PURPOSES, and can be removed once installed. This allows you to slide the Stenner pump off so you can perform the service as shown in the videos.
    Another option is to simply remove the feed "head" off the Stenner pump and make the tube replacement. This is shown in the Total Control owners manual. Once the feed head is removed, the roller assembly is lose and can be removed, as well as the feed tube. The video shows the feed head afixed to the motor shaft, which gives it the required pressure against the tube, but removed from the shaft, it is free to remove by hand, without having to roll the roller assembly, to get the tube out.
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

+ Reply to Thread