+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PoolPilot Total Digital ORP readout

Default PoolPilot Total Digital ORP readout

On the readout the ORP reading on the left is 618 and on the right 650.

I am assuming the left readout is the actual and the right the ideal.

It was finally installed today. If so after 5 or so hours of operation it does not seem to be improving, descending from 623 to 618, what am I doing wrong the power level is set to 2?

10,000 Gal Gunite, Total Digital Control SC-60, Stenner Pump, 3/4 hp pump, throughput 55 gpm.

Temp 84f
    TA 90
    pH 7.5
    FC 3.5
    CH 360
    CYA 42
    Borate 50
    Salt currently 3200 (Taylor)

If the suggestion is to boost the output should the pump run for 24 hours?

Any help would be appreciated.

Addendum.

Well, it is now 4:45pm, 6 hours after we started to run it and the ORP reading has climbed to 625, interestingly the FC is now at 4 -4.5, I am slightly color blind. It could it be that when we started it the FC was at 4.0. So now I'm totally confused. I noticed that in Germany, where the ORP levels are strictly regulated they recommend 750, and that other countries recommend 700 as a minimum for saltwater pools, any suggestions here? So being half-German I set it for 700. Am I wrong to do this? Why is the FC climbing do I need it?

I would like to run the pool for 4 hours as here in Hawaii the KWH is 26 cents, from 11am to 3pm . That would give me 1.3 turns approximately. I am planning on running it over night tonight to see what happens.

Next Addendum.

I think I got it, I think!

If set the ORP for 650, I should get around 5 FC, then according to ChemGeek's "Pool Equations" spreadsheet I will hit 0.051 HOCL which should kill marine plankton (or most of it) a real plus here in Honolulu. Does this sound OK? If it does not get to 650 on an average four hour run I will boost the power setting to 3 and may run it slightly longer if necessary, doe that sound ok? Checked again at 5.23pm and it is now at 633.

The last addendum today.

It is nearly 6pm and the ORP is near 650 and the FC near 5. I think tomorrow I will set it for 4 hours, at power setting 3, aiming for Germany's 750 and that should bring it to a FC of 6.8 that should bring the HOCL to 0.078. I will let you know.

By the way is this crazy?

Thursday May 8th 2008 at 2.45pm

Just got home. The pool has been off since last night. The ORP is 638 and the pH 7.72, FC is 7. Manually added acid to drop it to 7.5. Will see how it progresses.

Thursday May 8th 2008 at 8.05pm

Came home from Dinner out. Pool read 700 ORP and pH at 7.5. Went for swim for 40 mins, after swim ORP was at 718 (I must be super clean or all that red wine helped), ph the same. It got dark at around 7:15pm. With this in mind the ORP seems to be affected by the strength of the sun. Will therefore test both lowering cYA to 35 and raising it to 50 to see which helps the most.
    Last edited by smallpooldad; 05-09-2008 at 04:07 AM.

Default Re: PoolPilot Total Digital ORP readout

What's crazy is that you have so much time and in Hawaii!!!!! How do I get on that plan????

just kidding.

The ORP is not a direct correlation to the FC ppm. Yes, Sunlight will affect the ORP reading. CYA will affect the ORP reading. pH level will affect the ORP reading.

My recommendation is to let your FC get to the level you want to maintain, observe the measured ORP reading at that point, then adjust the set point to match that reading.

The number to the left is the measured reading, while the number to the right (in parenthesis) is the set point. The programming of the set point is accessed by pressing the UP or DOWN button while the ORP screen is displayed. Change the set point to the desired setting, then press SELECT.
    Same for the pH programming.

The Total Control should be capable of maintaining your pool on a 4 hr cycle, without having to increase to Cell Power 3.
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

+ Reply to Thread