Thread: Definations

jrv331 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst jrv331 0

Default Definations

I know I should know these things but what are:
    A) Calcium Hypochlorite
    B) Cal-Hypo

Thanks
    John

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Thumbs up Re: Definations

They are the same. Usually it's granular chlorine, but some 'slow' tabs are also cal- hypo, as opposed to trichlor - they aren't as long lasting as the trichlor, but at least they don't add to cya. If you're thinking of using some in your liner pool (the granular) you want to premix it in a bucket of water, stir it and let it dissolve for a few minutes - then slowly pour it in front of the return until you see the undissolved stuff start to enter the water - then stop pouring and refill the bucket, stir and let sit a few minutes - at this point all the 'solid' stuff that you may see as you pour it in will only be the 'ash' (binders) and it's OK to let that into the pool. The reason for the predissolving is because any of the solid stuff that still has chlorine in it that settles on the floor can bleach out and weaken the liner.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Default Re: Definations

Im looking at alternatives to adding bleach when I go on vacation that wont raise my CYA to much. I had a friend adding the bleach last year and all I heard when I got back was about the clothes he ruined.
    Thanks for the help
    John

Get brighter friends
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

If you're going to use it during vacation, I would get your friend to add it via granular version following Waste's directions rather than use the tabs....the old tabs were pretty good, but the newer ones go to mush after the second day in the pool and are not worth the plastic they're packaged in.

Janet

I have an inline chlorinator(?) thats still in the box. I was thinking of it installing this year for times when I wont be around for a few days. I got a Leslies catalog and they have chlorine tabs that say they wont effect PH much. I was going to try this and see how it goes.
    Thanks
    John

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by jrv331 View Post
    I have an inline chlorinator(?) thats still in the box. I was thinking of it installing this year for times when I wont be around for a few days. I got a Leslies catalog and they have chlorine tabs that say they wont effect PH much. I was going to try this and see how it goes.
    Thanks
    John
    I guess it's true depending on how you define "much".

Tri-chlor tabs are extremely acid and push pH down. Di-Chlor tabs are much harder to find and while they are neutral, adding chlorine has an acid effect that pushes pH down.
    Bleach is very basic, but the acid effect of the chlorine in the water negates it giving a virtually zero-change effect to pH.
    Cal-Hypo tends to be very basic too, and seems to actually help pH rise. It also adds calcium and calcium hardness to your water.

This is why in general bleach or liquid chlorine (same thing in different concentrations) are the best chlorination over the long term.
    Carl

I was looking at Chlor Brite from Leslies, says its PH neutral. But only if they have it in a 10lb or less container. I may end up just using the sock in the skimmer method in the end.
    Thanks
    John

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Chlor Brite is dichlor, it will cause your CYA to rise. Technically it has a pH of around 6 so it's only slighly acidic. It's as close to neutral (ph 7) as any form of chlorine gets.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

It's funny this thread should appear regarding having friends chlorinate the pool and complaining about bleaching their clothes. I've been recently using Dichlor as my chlorine source because my CYA is low. I discovered that at least for the brand I am using, the granules don't completely dissolve quickly. They would settle to the bottom of the pool even when added slowly over a return flow. So I then got a plastic container with a lid (it used to contain bird seed) and used it to premix the Dichlor with pool water. Even doing this, it would take several fill, mix, pour to get it all dissolved. It also smells different in the pool and the pool water tastes different for a day or two -- perhaps some other binder material???

Lo and behold, I discover the next day that my dark socks that I was wearing when I did the above Dichlor addition have bleach splotches. The container I used for mixing leaked at the top during the mixing (it was designed for solids -- bird seed -- and not for liquids) and I recall some of it spilling out but didn't think immediately about it as if it were bleach.

File this under "it happened to me; it could happen to you"! Ironically, I haven't had any incidents when using chlorinating liquid since I'm consciously much more aware of its bleaching potential so am very careful when pouring and handling drips on bottle edges.

Richard

+ Reply to Thread