+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My pS234 test results

Default My pS234 test results

Opened the pool this week and found crystal clear water. What a pleasant surprise. I took a sample to the pool store yesterday and then ran my own PS234 tests this morning. Here's the drill.

Pool store My pS234 kit
    FC 14.4 9.5
    CC 1.1 00
    pH 8.2 8.2
    ALK 288+ 280+
    CYA 140 150+
    CAL 600+
    Hardness 340
    TDS 3900
    Copper 0.07 (is this important?)

It is a fiberglass 20,000 gallon pool. Our local water supposedly runs 1500ppm TDS. Pool store tells me I need to drain some water, but I couldn't make contact with the local Viking pool people yesterday and of course they don't work on Saturday. I bought lots of muriatic acid last year from the black hole of a pool store. Spent all season with incredibly high chlorine or fighting algae. Any ideas? I'm willing to drain but I want to talk to the Viking people first so I'll know how much I can safely drain.

I admire all you chemists who understand this stuff. I've been reading for two summers now and it just gets more confusing!! One more question. Is there a drop test for Ph so you don't have to rely on comparison? Thanks for your help.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: My pS234 test results

Congratulations on the clear water, it's a beautiful thing, isn't it?

What do you use for chlorination in your pool? I'm guessing it's trichlor tabs since your CYA is so high--and do you know where the copper came from? Did you use a copper-based algaecide when you closed?

Your calcium level is high--do you have a lot of calcium in your water? Do you notice any scaling in the pool?

I would not be concerned about the TDS--it's usually something that you only have to worry about if you're having continual algae blooms that you can't kill that don't have any explanation. However, your algae problems are almost certainly caused by your CYA level, which is WAY WAY high. So....you don't need to necessarily drain water to reduce the TDS, but you do need to drain and refill water to lower your CYA. You really need to shoot for 60 ppm or less, and then you don't have to run the chlorine so high and won't be fighting algae all summer. In addition, unless your fill water is high in Calcium, you will also be able to lower your calcium a bit.

Use the muriatic acid to lower your pH and alk--lower the pH until it's around 7.0 (this will also lower your alk) , then aerate your pool to raise the pH back up without also raising the alkalinity.

As far as the copper goes, higher levels of copper in the water would make a difference because high levels of chlorine can make the copper fall out of solution in the water and cause green staining (that's where you get green hair and nails that many people blame on chlorine), but the level that you describe shouldn't cause you any problems. I would not use anything else that contains copper in your pool, though, because once it's in there it doesn't come out.

There is not a drop test for pH that I know of--there has been some mention around the forum of an electronic pH test, but I've gotten the impression that they are not reliable unless very meticulously maintained.

Janet

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

With FC that high you cannot be sure your pH isn't artificially raised. Try a couple of drops of chlorine neutralizer in it first (Taylor-0007--or the first two drops you put in when running the Total Alkalinity test--before adding the dye.

I personally don't like CYA that high--draining half your water and refilling will get it down to 70-75--high but much easier to manage. At 150, you need a constant FC of 8-15ppm.
    Carl

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Did you test your fill water? With such high alkalinity and calcium, it would be better to drain 1/3 of the water out, refill, drain 1/3 and refill and do it again until the alkalinity, calcium and cya are in normal ranges. If your alk and calcium are high in your fill water, then the only thing that will lower will be the cya - which is a good thing, because with such high cya, you would need very high chlorine numbers continuously as Carl says. I have a fiberglass pool and I have never had a problem draining and refilling this way. If you don't have a high water table, you can take it down a half at a time. With the high chlorine levels you will get false ph readings, therefore it really is in your best interest to take the cya down so that you can run your chlorine at lower levels without getting algae. When the water is balanced properly, it is much easier to keep a sanitized pool. We are here to answer any questions you may have
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by lskeate View Post
    Opened the pool this week and found crystal clear water. What a pleasant surprise. I took a sample to the pool store yesterday and then ran my own PS234 tests this morning. Here's the drill.

Pool store My pS234 kit
    FC 14.4 9.5
    How old is your FAS-DPD titrant? This reagent DOES have a shelf life and should be replaced yearly. Taylor R-0781 is the reagent you want. FYI, the DPD powder is Taylor R-0780.

CC 1.1 00
    pH 8.2 8.2

ALK 288+ 280+
    This is well within the accuracy range of the drop test so they are the same.

CYA 140 150+
    Once again well within the accuracy range of the drop test, which only is really accurate up to 100 ppm. If your pool store used a colorineter (a meter that read the test result vials) then they are probably right on the money.

CAL 600+
    Hardness 340
    TDS 3900
    Copper 0.07 (is this important?)
    This small amount of copper can be ignored. It might have come from your fill water or runoff from rains. It is essentially 0ppm. Don't worry about it unless it tests at about .2 ppm or higher.

It is a fiberglass 20,000 gallon pool. Our local water supposedly runs 1500ppm TDS. Pool store tells me I need to drain some water, but I couldn't make contact with the local Viking pool people yesterday and of course they don't work on Saturday. I bought lots of muriatic acid last year from the black hole of a pool store. Spent all season with incredibly high chlorine or fighting algae. Any ideas? I'm willing to drain but I want to talk to the Viking people first so I'll know how much I can safely drain.
    Don't worry about TDS. It's a bogus measurement in most cases.

I admire all you chemists who understand this stuff. I've been reading for two summers now and it just gets more confusing!! One more question. Is there a drop test for Ph so you don't have to rely on comparison? Thanks for your help.
    Hope you find this helpful.

Edit: there really isn't a drop test for pH and meters are not a good idea for several reasons. Some people find that the Taylor pH test found in the 2000 series test kits that use a different reagent (R-0004) and a larger comparator tube (45 ml) a bit easier to read but I personally dont see a difference between it and the small comparator and R-0014 reagent used in the PS-234. The least epensive way to get this comparator is with the Taylor K-2000 starter kit which has the pH test with acid and base demand and the DPD chlorine test. You already have all the other tests you need so buying one of the more expensive K-2000 series testkits like the K-2006 or K-2005 will only dupicate the other tests.
    Last edited by waterbear; 04-27-2008 at 01:13 PM.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

I appreciate the responses. This is where I stand as of today, Monday. I ignored the pool yesterday. This morning I retested. My FC is now 4 with 0 CC. PH, I think, is still at 8.2. CYA is sill somewhere near 150. I called our city and the calcium level in our city water averages 100ppm. I don't seem to have a scale problem along the water line. I do get a lot of scale on the top of the bubble solar cover, but it easily washes off. I'm guessing I should not rinse that back into the pool when I clean my cover.

I called the local Viking Pool company here in Midland, TX and spoke to the "expert". He wasn't aware of CYA or stabilized chlorine. He did tell me I should follow the directions with the drops in the test kit. Thanks for the advice. I asked him if there is a national help-line phone number for Viking Pools, he said no, I thanked him for his help and hung up quickly. He also told me before I drain the pool I should put 2x4s along the width of the pool, then drain it 2 feet. The pool depth is 8 feet. I'm afraid I'd be draining and filling all summer. We have a very low water table in Midland. You can dig a cemetery plot and not find any water.

I guess I need to start doing a 1/3 drain and refill, then retest. Since I'm going to this trouble, what is the perfect CYA reading? I've ordered some new reagents so I'll know exactly where I stand. One last question about chlorine. I used bleach exclusively last summer and that's what is in the pool now. Or used to be. How can my free chlorine go down so far in about 40 hours when the stabilizer is so high and there is no combined chlorine? The pool is covered with a bubble cover and is pretty cold, but I can't give you an exact reading. I know I should have paid more attention to my chem professor. But it was so boring!! Thanks again to all of you. Wish we would have been introduced the first summer we planted this pool.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

You definitely need to do a series of drain/refills to lower your CYA, and I would shoot for about 40 ppm. I don't know where you live and how much sun your pool gets, but it's way easier to add more CYA later if you need it than to reduce it, as you are finding out. At least the good news is that your calcium and TA will drop, as well.

Seeing a chlorine level drop from 9.5 to 4 in a couple of days' time is not that surprising, especially if you have sun on the pool over a long period of time. Your pool will be so much easier to deal with once you finish the refilling!

Janet

Default Re: My pS234 test results-Update

We did a series of drains on our fiberglass pool. On Friday afternoon, took a sample to the private pool store and they said I was at 15ppm CYA. Said the alk was 226 and pH was 7.8. Then I took a sample to L****es. They said I had 40 CYA and 7.8 pH. She also said I had high phosphates, but I recall you guys think that's a Leslies thing. Then on Saturday morning I took another sample back to the private pool store (who runs tests with a computer) and they said my CYA was 35ppm with Alk of 200 and pH of 7.7. My own CYA test, which I have challenges with, shows closer to 40.

So, where should I go from here? They tell me I should add a gallon of Muriatic acid, which I'm willing to do. I'm tempted to add the acid and then just follow the chlorine closely. Anybody have a better idea?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: My pS234 test results-Update

Add doses of muriatic acid and get your ph down to about 7.0. Instead of a big dose of acid, small doses and just keep checking ph. This will also drop your alk. Then, aerate your ph back up. when it gets back up to about 7.6 or so, recheck your alk. If it is still high, repeat the process.

More info can be found at the following link:
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=191

CYA of 35 or 40 either one is perfect in my opinion. Stick with bleach for your sanitation instead of trichlor pucks or you'll be right back up there with high cya before you know it. Keep us posted how things are going. Sounds like you are almost there!

Why would anyone recommend draining several times instead of one large time. It would require draining much more water in the long run by draining several and get same results with one large drain.

+ Reply to Thread