+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Evaporation

xoroniox is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst xoroniox 0

Default Evaporation

I would like to find out how much water i am losing due to evaporation. I know there are alot of factors like surface area,humidity,temp ect. i did a search to find some type of calculation to figure out what the loss should be but came up empty. Does anyone know how to figure this out?
    It may also help with checking for leaks,small cracks and the like. Thanks for any help

I remember reading something on here about evaporation but it may have been from before the crash because i could not find it.
    -Arron

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Default Re: Evaporation

It is nearly impossible to accurately calculate the water loss. It is dependent on water temp, air temp and wind. However, it does not seem to be dependent on surface area.

Have you tired the bucket test? Place a bucket on the first step of the pool and fill to the same water level as the pool. If the pool drops faster than the bucket, you have have a leak somewhere.

Good luck
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

xoroniox is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst xoroniox 0

I do know about the bucket test thanks though, i had a leak about two weeks ago it helped alot in the process to get the leak plugged.

I will continue to search and hope i find something. Thanks for your insight
    Last edited by xoroniox; 04-26-2006 at 09:52 PM.

I agree with the other posts: This is beyond what you can do manually. Maybe if you had a computer with a weather station and sensors to check pool temperature and sunlight intensity, you might be able to write software to simulate the evaporation. Much too complex a calculation by hand, as it can change from one second to the next.

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

If you are really want to do evaporation calcs, here are a few links to start your quest:

http://www.grow.arizona.edu/Grow--Gr...ResourceId=208
    http://www.thermexcel.com/english/program/pool.htm
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

+ Reply to Thread