+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Opening after winter and converting to BBB questions

Default Opening after winter and converting to BBB questions

Hey all, I've been reading on how to convert from Baq to Cl, lots of good info.
    I have a few questions tho' so any help is GREATLY appreciated.

I live in Southeast Michigan and have a 15x30 above ground with a sand filter. I've only had the pool since last May, so go easy on me.....LOL.

1. Is it advisible to add the Chlorine into the skimmer?

2. When I add the Chlorine, how soon after dosing do I check the ppm.

3. I have a Taylor Fas-DPD kit, but thought about using a cheap one from Wally World for the conversion, yes or no?

4. When do I switch from just re-circulating to filtering the water?

5. Do I need to vacuum and brush the pool everyday while converting?

I plan on converting in Mid May when I open it, so I'm sure I'll have more questions to come.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Opening after winter and converting to BBB questions

Hi,
    1. Assuming you're adding chlorine in the form of bleach, you can add it through the skimmer if you want, but I personally would add it in front of the return since you're converting....you want all the killing power available to break down the Baq, and don't want all your chlorine used up "killing" whatever is already in your filter.

2. I would allow the chlorine 1-2 hours to circulate before getting an accurate test, but keep in mind that the Baq in the water is going to start using it up pretty much immediately after you use it. I would use the bleach calculator to figure out how much you need for the initial dose and go with that...then just measure your levels again before you're ready to redose.

3. I wouldn't use the cheap kit for conversion, because it will only be accurate up to about 5 ppm, and you need much higher levels of chlorine than that for a successful conversion.

4. You need to be filtering the water as the conversion goes along--as the Baq is broken down it goes into the filter, so keep an eye on your pressure, because you may need to backwash it frequently.

5. Yes, vacuuming and brushing the pool daily will help speed up your conversion time. Don't forget to wait until your chlorine level is holding overnight before changing your sand...but a sand change will be necessary to complete your conversion.

Oh, and expect your pool to turn all sorts of odd colors during the conversion....don't let it scare you!!

Janet

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

When you are done, break down and clean your sand filter and REPLACE THE SAND! Sand is cheap enough and it will be all gummed up by the Baq.
    Carl

Thanks guys. (whoops, and girl )

One other question, I have access to 20% Sodium Hypochlorite from work, would that be too strong for the vinyl liner?

Temps finallly broken into the upper 70's today, the wife and I are getting excited to open it up.

I'm thinking I'll use a weeks vacation from work to convert, and finish the landscaping around the pool and deck, so I can stay on top of it and get it done quickly.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by fxdwg97 View Post
    Thanks guys. (whoops, and girl )

One other question, I have access to 20% Sodium Hypochlorite from work, would that be too strong for the vinyl liner?

Temps finallly broken into the upper 70's today, the wife and I are getting excited to open it up.

I'm thinking I'll use a weeks vacation from work to convert, and finish the landscaping around the pool and deck, so I can stay on top of it and get it done quickly.
    You can always dilute it. Take a 5 gallon bucket and if you put 3 gallons of water in it, then add one gallon of 20%, you'll have 5%--same as laundry bleach--and the 4 gallons will be like adding 4 gallons of bleach.

But be very, very careful. 20% is tricky stuff, will burn you, burn through clothes and shoes in an instant. Even nominal 12% (tests at 14-14.5) can damage anything it touches. BTW, 1 ml of your chlorine in 10 liters of water is the same concentration as in a pool and allows you to measure its strength. (10 liters is 5 soda bottles).
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread