+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How much/which chemicals needed in newly filled pool?

Hybrid View

Default How much/which chemicals needed in newly filled pool?

I know this question has probably been asked a thousand times but doing a search on the forums didn't help me out.

I'm having my liner replaced on my IG 18x36 pool and I am wondering what I need to add to the water after it has been filled. I use bleach, so I assume I should shock it and add stabilizer but should I also add algaecide? Anything else I need to add?

Also, I plan on getting about 6000 gallons trucked in and fill the rest with the hose but its going to take a few days, should I add shock while it is being filled up? I won't be able to turn the pump on until its completely filled so I don't know if dumping in shock is going to help if the water isn't being turned over.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: How much/which chemicals needed in newly filled pool?

Actually, not quite as often as you think.

Don't add algaecide yet, and, if you do, only use polyquat.

I actually believe in adding chlorine while you are filling it.

Remember the rule of thumb:
    1 gallon of 5.25% bleach adds 5.25ppm to 10,000 gallons of water. That's not a bad starting level for new water, which should be clean and not growing algae.

You WILL need to test your water ASAP. First: Adjust your pH. Get that right. Then worry about
    chlorine,
    total alkalinity and
    CYA/Stabilizer levels in that order.

That's really all you need with a vinyl pool, at least for now. If you don't have a good test kit, get one. It should have the FAS-DPD chlorine test. Don't be confused and get a DPD chlorine test--not the same thing.

You can get the Taylor K-2006 kit, the Leslie's FAS-DPD Service Test Kit, or the Trouble-Free Pools test kit...all are pretty much the same. You cannot get the PoolSolutions PS-234 these days.

In a pinch, the Wal-Mart 5-way drop test kit will do (I think HTC makes it, but I could be wrong).

Bleach is good.
    So is baking soda to raise T/A
    Muriatic Acid to lower pH
    Borax to raise pH
    CYA must be purchased from a pool store.

"Shock" is a verb, not a noun. You can shock with Bleach or Liquid chlorine as well as anything.
    Carl

Thanks for your help. I do have one of Ben's test kits and I've been using Bleach for a couple years now. I'll make sure to get the php adjusted before anything else.

One more thing, the guy that is going to replace the liner recommended I use Lithium Hypochlorite for chlorinating because its better for the liner and then bleach. I keep my CYA and chlorine low so I don't think using bleach should be wearing out the liner. Do you have any experience with Lithium Hypochlorite? Does it come with stabilizer like tri-chlor?

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Drink View Post
    One more thing, the guy that is going to replace the liner recommended I use Lithium Hypochlorite for chlorinating because its better for the liner and then bleach. I keep my CYA and chlorine low so I don't think using bleach should be wearing out the liner. Do you have any experience with Lithium Hypochlorite? Does it come with stabilizer like tri-chlor?
    lithium is unstabilid like beach. It's only advantage is that it's a fast dissolving granule instead of a fast dissolving liquid (well liquids don't dissolve but bleach does dissapate throughout the water very fast.)
    The BIG downside to lithium is it's co$t. It is the MOST expensive form of chlorine you can buy!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

In addition to what Waterbear said, Lithiumis not as conveniently obtained as bleach, either....it requires going to the pool store!!

Bleach, if properly used, won't wear your liner out any faster than any other form of chlorine.

Janet

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by aylad View Post
    In addition to what Waterbear said, Lithiumis not as conveniently obtained as bleach, either....it requires going to the pool store!!
    Hey, I work in one!!!!!!!!!! Some of us are OK!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

+ Reply to Thread