+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Unable to vacuum to waste?

Default Unable to vacuum to waste?

Good morning,

Well, it's spring and time to take up my other job: Mr. Amateur Pool. Here's my setup:

Colored plaster IG 22.5 k gallons
    Cartridge filters, pump runs 10 hours/day
    No chlorinator nor SWG
    Testing is with PS234
    Pool gets full sun 10 am to 2pm
    We use liquid chlorine to shock, bleach to maintain
    Skimmer has a skimmer sock

Now, the issue. I had a Swan Pools service guy here (unrelated problem) and asked him about how to 'vacuum to waste'. That is, I want pool water being vacuumed out to bypass the cartridge filters. I thought this was accomplished by 'draining' the pool while vacuuming, by opening the faucet near the filter tank.

BUT the service guy said this THIS METHOD DOESN'T BYPASS THE FILTER CARTRIDGES! And that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

So, does anyone know if I can vacuum to waste? Or am I destined to vacuum everything into the filters and then have to clean them more often?

Not sure how to describe this any better. Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers from the cloudy Sierra Foothills,
    Paul
    _ _ _ _ _

The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
    Henry David Thoreau

Default Re: Unable to vaccum to waste?

Title has a typo. Should read: "Unable to vacuum to waste?"

Or is it vacumn?

Apologies,
    Paul

_ _ _ _ _
    Hockey players are all bilingual – they know English and profanity.
    Gordie Howe

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Unable to vaccum to waste?

I corrected the title for you but, it did not correct the spelling on each of the posts. No big deal.

Sorry I can't help you with your question, however. I am not familiar with the ins and outs of cartridge filters. Someone will be along who can help you soon I'm sure.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Thumbs up Re: Unable to vacuum to waste?

Hey Paul

Hi, I'm waste, you know... the one you want to vacuum to

All you have to do is remove the carts, open the drain port on the back of the filter and you should be set to go! You might want to attach a hose to the drain port so you don't flood out the filter pad area. If you see the vacuumed stuff re-entering the pool via the returns, you can either close the return line valve (if applicable) or plug the returns while you do the vac-ing.

As always, when wasting the water with the vacuum, keep an eye on the water level in the pool so it doesn't get too low!

This isn't a major issue - no carts in the filter = no debris on them, water flowing out of the drain port (& the returns not just putting the vac'd debris back into the pool) = water being vacuumed to ME (waste)
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Default Re: Unable to vacuum to waste?

Thanks, Waste -- if that IS your real name

One follow-up question, if I may. I assume that running the system w/o the carts means I still have to seal up the tank (with that 'belt' that goes around the middle and that bolt that you have to turn about 100 times) Is this right?

Cheers from the about-to-be-vacuumed Sierra Foothills,
    Paul
    _ _ _ _ _ _
    Let’s face it folks, what we’re basically doing is working with people, and I’m a living example of that, I guess.
    Speaker unknown, Merced (CA) Schools Faculty Meeting

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Thumbs up Re: Unable to vacuum to waste?

Paul, you're probably better off reassembling the tank after removing the carts - some systems don't have to have the top put back on, but for most if you don't put the top back on, the water goes everywhere

Good luck getting the pool into shape and hope you will enjoy it all summer!
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

And thanks again.

I am seeing a fair amount of vacuumed stuff re-entering the pool via the returns. Could you please tell me more about "plugging the returns"? I don't seem to be able to close the return line valve -- only to choose the mixture returning to the shallow end vs. deep end.

Cheers from the . . . ah heck with it,
    Paul

_ _ _ _ _
    After I am dead, I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one.
    Marcus Porcius Cato

Smile Re: Unable to vacuum to waste?

All you have to do is remove the directional eyeballs and either screw a 1 1/2" threaded plug into them or you could use a #9 expandable rubber plug. If you winterize the pool, you should have the plugs on hand, if not - they're inexpensive (even at a pool store )
    Luv & Luk, Ted

"All you have to do is remove the directional eyeballs and either screw a 1 1/2" threaded plug into them"

Glorioski.

+ Reply to Thread