Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help with stain removal and metal free

Default Help with stain removal and metal free

I added a quart of Polyquat 60 yesterday and my numbers were:
    CYA 35-40
    FC was 5
    Ph 8
    TA 140

Today's numbers were as follows before -the Ascorbic acid and Jacks metal free
    CYA 35-40
    FC 3-4
    Ph 8
    Ta 100

I think I messed up. I used 4.5 lbs ascorbic acid to 26,000 gl vinyl liner pool to remove stains. My water was going through the sand filter the entire time. I had asked DH to put on circulate only, and he misunderstood. About an hour, the stains were gone. Then we realized that the filter was running, so we backwashed the sand.

Then we added about 2 quarts of Jacks' Metal Free with water again running through the filter.(?) Double dumb? Anyway. about an hour later I have no fc and cannot get enough Dpd powder in the vial to turn the sample pink. The ph came down to 7.3.

My stains are gone! Doesnt the Jacks Metal Free sequester the loose particles? Will they get caught in the filter then? Do I need to add any other sequestering agent, if so what? Do I need to change from filter to circulate only?

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by webfeet; 03-29-2008 at 02:25 PM.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Help with stain removal and metal free

If your stains are gone, then I think you're fine....according to Marie's ascorbic acid treatment sticky (at the top of this forum), once you add the sequestering agent you're supposed to turn the pump back to filter anyway. The purpose of the sequestering agent is to keep the "stain" in the pool water rather than deposited on your pool surfaces, and will need to be re-added occasionally. Marie's sticky indicates that the chlorine is depleted while this is in progress, and describes how you need to handle the chlorine and pH.

Janet

Thanks Janet. The pool looks great- the water is clear. I am ready to start raising the chlorine. The ph is 7.2. I have a salt water generator. Should I used plain Bleach from a bottle to slowly raise the chlorine? I hope Marie sees this thread, because I know she can tell me how fast and how to bring it up. I would also like to use Jack's metal magic, if it will change the metals into salts or whatever that can be filtered out. Will it help filter the metals out? What about flocculants or clarifiers? Thanks, Web

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Having never had the problem with stains, I don't know the best answer to how fast to bring up the chlorine, but I would just say to do it gradually while keeping an eye on the pool and stopping if you see stains beginning to form.

As for the metal magic, it doesn't change the metals into salts, it just keeps them sequestered in the water so they don't deposit on your pool. Flocculants are usually used to gather small particles that are floating around in your water and make them stick together to make it easier to vacuum them out....but they are not going to change your metals situation. Unfortunately the only reliable way to remove the metals from your water is to replace your water.

Janet

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

hi, sorry I was away and just got back. You are doing everything right. The whole idea is to get the chlorine up slowly while keeping the ph low. Try to keep the ph at about 7.2 and no higher than 7.4. High chlorine with high ph reacts and drops the metals out of solution to stain the surface of the pool. You do have to be careful of getting any algae, so it is a good idea to put in a polyquat 60 algacide. I would use bleach to raise the chlorine -raise the chlorine slowly, by taking it up 1 at a time. Start by getting it up to 3 and keeping it there, keeping your eye out for stains. As long as you have sequestering agent in the water, and the ph is low, you shouldn't get any stains. If you see the stains returning take the ph lower and add more sequesterant. You don't need anything else in the water. All of the metal sequesterers are basically the same - just not the really cheap ones. Let me know if you have any other questions
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

Thanks Marie for your input. I used all my Jacks Metal Free when I first put it in. So I went to the local pool store and bought a product made by haviland called Metal Wizard that claims to sequester and remove the metals through the filter. I put about 1/2 half a quart in.

I am having trouble getting the chlorine level to hold. Ph is about 7.1 or 7.2. Should I raise the chlorine level up each day to the level suggested by Ben's best guess chart?

Also, will the ascorbic acid remove any type stain or just metal stains and will the sequester move other particles or just metals?

Finally, is it okay to put the solar cover on now?

Thanks, Jan

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Most of the metal sequesters say that they remove metals, but they don't. They are all basically the same, and metals get in the water some way, and stay there unless you can pinpoint how they got there, and refill with water you know doesn't have any metals. I think it is easier to just use the sequestering agent, and keep the ph on the low side. Keeping your chlorine up everyday so you don't have to shock is really the best thing. You can start to bring your chlorine up slowly. It sometimes takes a long time to hold chlorine, because the chlorine is busy eating up the ascorbic acid that is left in the pool. Once all of the ascorbic acid is gone, the water will hold the chlorine again. So you just have to test often and bring it back to you minimum according to the best guess chart. Once the chlorine is holding, you can go back to keeping it at the regular levels that you do. Just be sure that when you get a lot of rain, or fill water, you add more sequestering agent. Also, if you see some stain coming back, you know it's time to add more sequestering agent. The sequestering agent also brings ph down, so you have to monitor the ph often. You can notice that if the ph is high, your stains come back easily. I always keep mine no higher than 7.4. Ascorbic acid will only remove metal stains. Sequestering agent will only sequester the metals. You can put the solar cover on - but make sure you keep an eye out for algae - put in an algaecide, because you don't want to have to shock the pool right after a metal treatment, the stains will return. Hope this helps.
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

I put in a quart of polyqouat 60 about 5 or 6 days ago. Do I need to add some more? Any opinion on the solar cover? Thanks

sorry, I missed that you added poly in the first post You don't need to add anymore. It is just as a precaution for when the chlorine goes to 0 while doing the stain treatment. How does the pool look?
    Northeast PA

+ Reply to Thread