+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: hoW early is too early to open the pool in Delaware?

Default hoW early is too early to open the pool in Delaware?

Any drawbacks to opening in march?

We've got a bad scale problem, and wanted a jump start on getting the water balanced, and then dropping the pH in order to brush brush brush.

We've had a mild winter here, and it isn't likely to get below 32 degrees again, but it may....

thanks

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: hoW early is too early to open the pool in Delaware?

The only drawback is that you will have to take care of a pool that you can't swim in yet because the water will be too cold for awhile yet. But, I also sometimes have to open my pool early because we start having hot days and if I don't, then I know I'm gonna open to pea soup green water instead of clear water. I've opened my pool in March several times and if not then, always in April.

You will have to start adding bleach, etc. and filtering, but in my opinion, that is no big deal. By this time of year, I am usually pretty anxious to start messing with my pool anyways. And, if you do happen to have a night that does goes below freezing, you can just run your pump through the night and nothing will freeze up. As long as water is moving through the equipment, it won't hurt a thing.

watermom,

thanks for the quick reply. you are echoing my sentiments. i'm itching to start fixin' the pool. i thought about running the filter thruout a cold night as a safety measure.

i just might do it...

One year the cover blew off in March and I just left it off. Now I take the cover off in March on purpose. The grass hasn't started to grow yet so there are no clippings to get on the cover when you clean it. Also you really don't need many chemicals until the water gets above 50 anyway. Plus seeing the pool without a cover is a nice reminder that summer is around the corner.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

You know, it is funny. We used to tell people that you didn't have to worry about algae in cold water. But, we found out that isn't always true. Al (Poconos) has a really cool picture of algae under ice in his pool. I think he already has it posted here somewhere on the forum in another thread, but not sure exactly where. He also mentioned to me the other day that he sees a little algae in a couple of spots in his pool and he still has ice in his pool --- something like 7 inches worth I think. Weird! Maybe he can dig up that picture and link it here. It is a really neat picture.

I'm in Northern NJ and the cover is coming off either this weekend or next. If I were in DE I would be swimming today

I live in Maryland, and I opened our pool a couple of weeks ago. The water was 49 when I opened it now up to mid 50's.

Will heat the hot tub and go for a "polar bear" swim this weekend.

Kevin

simsjim is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst simsjim 0

With this warm spell here is SE Pennsylvania, I am really getting the itch to open. Wanted to open the second week of april. I usually open the first weekend in May, but may push that back to this weekend, which is the the last weekend in april.

I know it will be a little bit before it's ready for swimming, but my family usually hosts a big Mother's Day brunch, and although there is not usually swimming, people enjoy sitting around the pool and chatting after the meal.....

Plus, I am a runner, so who knows, if I come back from a long run, and I am hot enough, I may just jump in, albiet for only a minute or two....

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

My pool is now technically open in North-Central NJ. A bit cold to swim but the water is balanced and it's clean. Next is getting it warmed up--solar cover and solar panels.
    Carl

I'm in North West NJ and just got out of my pool to check my e-mail. Water is 78 and crystal clear. Brought it up from 47 to 65 with the heatpump and then my 2 2'x20' solar panels have done the rest.

+ Reply to Thread