+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: automatic pool cleaner

KPROMERO is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst KPROMERO 0

Default automatic pool cleaner

Last year i bought a diver dave automatic pool cleaner and i guess you get what you pay. Looking to get a different one this year which i have a 30' above ground pool and was wondering which would be the best for a reasonable price?

Default Re: automatic pool cleaner

How about the Polaris 65? Any good

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I have the 165 and it's pretty much the same. They are pretty good BUT the bag isn't too fine so the really fine stuff goes through. You can throw in a handful of cotton balls, or the equivalent amount of sheet cotton and it will catch a lot that the bag would pass. For the really fine stuff, a suction-side cleaner catches more because it uses your filter.

You still need to brush your pool with these systems.

A robotic like an Aquabot or Blue Pearl is expensive but it filters as fine or finer than your filter, and it brushes the pool for you--but they start, even discounted, around $700. I don't recommend Dolphins as their internal motors are far smaller than Aquas or Blue Diamonds.
    Carl

How about the Baracuda Zoom?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I don't know. A number look sort of like large metal detectors--an angled tube with a flat rubber amoeba at the bottom. These are strictly for single level A/G pools and are suction-side based. Some work well, some don't, but I don't know much beyond that.
    Carl

We have used the Aquabot pool rover for three seasons with no problems. We love it

I had a Hayward navigator, it worked pretty good for 5 years, then dead, and it cost too much to fix. So I bought a "The Poolcleaner", and so far it has been a wonder to behold. I think the Navigator covered the pool a tad better (but not by much), but this does leaves and acorns and small twigs that clogged the navigator. I leave it in 24 X 7 (maybe haul it out if we are swimming) and it stays in all winter also because I don't close my pool. Only been a year, but nothing has needed replacing, Navigator needed wings replaced once a year minimum, and nothing is looking like it is even close to wearing out. About the only wear parts would be the tire treads and "flaps" that ride on the pool surface. They have both suction side (what I have) and pressure side (no booster pump pressure type) cleaners. Might be worth a look at.
    www.thepoolcleaner.com
    Before I bought mine I asked around, and everyone that I ran across that had this one says it was great. So I tried it, besides it was cheaper than the hayward and much cheaper than pressure side cleaners and way, way cheaper than robotics which you have to remove each time.

Good luck with your search and what ever you get, I hope it works good for you.

Is the poolcleaner only for inground pools or can it be used for above ground also?

Well i went out today and bought the Polaris 65 for my pool today but they had to order. Hope it works outs. I have read that a few of you put cotton balls in the bag and does that really help get the fine stuff while using? What else would you recommend using?

Hi, I've had a Polaris 65 for 3 years now and it is still going strong. The cotton balls are a must in my opinion and are inexpensive and effective. The Polaris still won't get all the fine stuff but does a good job of scooping up most common debris. One note: There is a valve on the return connector that has to be fine tuned somewhat, this controls the amount of pressure to the unit. Too much and it will bounce around and flip over, not enough and it will get stuck sometimes. Also you may have to cut the hoses per the instructions to fit your pool. This is pretty important as you don't want too much excess hose to get tangled up in.

+ Reply to Thread