+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help! with blowing out the lines using the pump drain plug!

Amir is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst Amir 0

Question Help! with blowing out the lines using the pump drain plug!

I have an old pool with DE filter and 2-way valve (back wash / filter), Polaris with it's own pump, and heater. The skimmer is hooked up to the main drain line. Most of the connections are glued so it is hard to remove. I need to blow out the lines and I figured that if I use the drain plug from the main pump and force air in with a compressor it should blow out the returns first, then I can plug the returns and it should blow out skimmer and the main drain (when I plug the two ports in the skimmer). If I can find a plug (or make one) that have an air valve incorporated in it, would be great. Any suggestions. Thanks
    Best Regards

Amir

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Thumbs up Re: Help! with blowing out the lines using the pump drain plug!

Amir, sorry you're not getting any nibbles on this Can you clarify something for me - is the MD plumbed into the second port of the skimmer?

The plug you're looking for, if a 2" plug will work for you, can be found in this thread.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Default Re: Help! with blowing out the lines using the pump drain plug!

Thanks Waste! I think I figured it out. I did go out and buy some long bicycle valve stems to make the plug. The main drain and skimmer lines are together and I think the second port that come out in the skimmer is tied to main drain. I will make the plug using the valve and try to blow out the whole system from the skimmer. I just better get moving since it is going below freezing tonight. I was hoping to insert the valve in a 1/2 drain plug that I have on the supply line right next to the inlet of the pump but I don't think the plug is thick enough to drill and tap for the bicycle stem valve.
    Amir

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Lightbulb Re: Help! with blowing out the lines using the pump drain plug!

Amir, if the drain is connected via the second skimmer port, I doubt you'll be able to blow the whole system at the same time. The MD line to the skimmer needs to be treated separately - this is easy enough to do. Get a male adapter and glue a ~ 15" piece of ridged pipe into it, wrap the threads on the M/A and screw it into the MD port on the skimmer. Blast air through the pipe until the MD bubbles for ~ 30 seconds and quickly!! slam a plug into the line, if ti takes too long to get the plug in, the water will rise back up to pool level and you'll have to do it again -- using one of the premade 'expand-n-purge' plugs will enable you to 'blow - and- forget' it

Where is your water level as you do this? You sound like you almost have the whole thing down, but need just a little 'tweak' to get it ' 100% ' - if you can't get it done by tonight, just run the pump to keep the water from freezing in the lines -- you're probably just going to ~31 deg, the lines won't freeze solid at that temp, you may see a 'skim' of ice, but nothing to damage the pool, pipes nor filter system. You still have some time to winterize correctly!!

Please let us know how it goes! - Ted
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Default Re: Help! with blowing out the lines using the pump drain plug!

Thanks Ted. When I put suction on the skimmer port, water will go down on both ports in the skimmer but will come back up. The water level is about 6" below the skimmer door or the tile line. I was hoping to plug the MD port in the skimmer with rubber plug and make a rubber plug with a valve and blow water in the skimmer port and close one by one the drain plugs in the pumps, heater and then move to the supply ports and plug them when they bubble. I thought since water will go out where there is least resistance there in less back pressure on the return ports than there is on the MD (it is deeper - 9') and as I close all the returns I can then look for bubbles in the MD line. What are your thoughts in regards to not being able to blow the whole system form the skimmer? I wish I had a schematic of how this thing was plumbed. The pool is over 25 years old but I renovated the coping, tile and plaster.
    Regards
    Amir
    P.S. I wuould have ordered the expand-n-purge plug except it was sold out at the only place that was listed in the post you mentioned.

+ Reply to Thread