+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A coworker's swamp

elsie is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst elsie 0

Smile A coworker's swamp

A coworker just bought a HUD house, hasn't closed on it yet. She doesn't know the size. I told her if she would measure the length, width and depth at deep end and shallow end, someone here could tell her approximately how many gallons? I'm assuming at this point it's a vinyl liner. She knows nothing about pools and I told her I would try to mentor her if she uses the BBB method.

I looked at picture she sent me and the water is swamp-green. I also sent her a post in this forum about a member's pool being transformed in the course of less than a week from green to sparkling blue using bleach (her realtor told her she would have to empty the pool, I told her can't do with a vinyl liner and no need to anyway).

We can't test for CYA because of the color of the water, and of course can't test the CL either until that water becomes clear, so once we know the gallonage, how in the heck do we know how much bleach to add on a twice daily basis (since she's at work during the day)?

Thanks for any help with this!

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Smile Re: A coworker's swamp

elsie, you're a good soul! As I'm sure you realize, bleach (and lots of it) is the way to care for this problem! If it's a total guess as to gallonage and cya level, I'd say to dump 4 gallons of 10 - 12% chlorine 2X a day until you can see the bottom and get an idea of how deep it is. IS the pump and filter system running? Using the filter 24/7 will help clear it up more quickly! However, your friend needs to know how to clean the filter when it starts getting clogged -- we can help

Try to get the pool to a point that you can measure both the cl and cc levels and also the depth. We can give you a good # for the gallonage
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Default Re: A coworker's swamp

Is "gallonage" a word
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Thumbs up Re: A coworker's swamp

If it wasn't before - it is now
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

elsie is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst elsie 0

Yes sirre Phillbo, gallonage is a word (but I'm not sure sirre is):

Main Entry:
    gal•lon•age
    Pronunciation:
    \ˈga-lə-nij\
    Function:
    noun
    Date:
    circa 1909
    : amount in gallons

Waste, she doesn't even know the filter type at this point, but if it's a sand filter, I imagine it will just involve a lot of backwashing when 12-15 above baseline psi. If it's anything else I'll come back with questions as I know nothing about other kinds of systems. Thanks for the input re: how much bleach to add. Will report back at some point (could be weeks away).

Quote Originally Posted by elsie View Post
    Yes sirre Phillbo, gallonage is a word (but I'm not sure sirre is):

Main Entry:
    gal•lon•age
    Pronunciation:
    \ˈga-lə-nij\
    Function:
    noun
    Date:
    circa 1909
    : amount in gallons

Well, I guess this place is worth the price of admission, I lernt something new today
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

Elsie,

If you put a sock in the skimmer basket and change it a couple times each day during the cleanup process the filter won't need a whole lot of backwashing at all. I had to let my pool go green for a month during 85 F weather, long story. With lots of bleach and the pump running 24/7 I had blue water within 5 days and sparkling clear water by Day 10. I brushed the bottom even though I couldn't see it, just to dislodge the algae. The skimmer socks caught nearly all the debris and I backwashed just the one time after the water was clear again.

AnnaK
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

+ Reply to Thread