+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leaving equipment outside all winter?

Default Leaving equipment outside all winter?

I live in NE Ohio so it gets pretty cold with lots of ice and snow here. However, our pump and filter are underneath our deck so they are protected pretty much from the winter elements. For that reason, as long as we disconnect from the pool, would it be a problem to just leave them there all winter and maybe put a plastic lawn and garden bag over them? Last year we took EVERYTHING apart and brought everything inside. Hubby said it was more work than necessary (not for MEEE......ha!), so I was wondering what everyone thought of leaving them be since they are sheltered? Thanks!!

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Thumbs up Re: Leaving equipment outside all winter?

I usually prefer to see the pump come in for the winter however, as long as snow won't be piling up around it, it should be ok
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Default Re: Leaving equipment outside all winter?

I live in Iowa which gets snow and ice also and my pool equipment is out in the open. I just cover everything with a tarp and have not had any problems in 15 years.

fcfrey is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst fcfrey 0

Check you owners manual.

I have a Hayward Super Pump. The book says disconnect and store indoors. It's not a big deal since I installed a Twistlock 220V waterproof plug. Unwiring every year was a pain but I figure the Manufacturer has a good reason so I installed the plug to make my life easier. These waterproof plug/receptical combinations are available from HD or Lowes (make sure you check for proper voltage/amerage rating to handle the pump).

This link shows the plug/Receptical combination (but not the pump)

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...y/DSC_3928.jpg

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

My equipment is in a poolhouse to keep it sheltered but doesn't do anything for the temperature. The superpump has been through 10 winters now and no problem at all. One of those snaps was down to -20F and we usually have some days below 0. I do drain it of water thoroughly and fill the pump basket with RV antifreeze. This also keeps the skimmer line filled and the seal and gaskets wet. Come spring I suck out the AF to use next winter.
    Al

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

My equipment has been out for 8 years and I have not had a problem
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

+ Reply to Thread