+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How far below the skimmer do you drain your above ground?

Default How far below the skimmer do you drain your above ground?

Last year I don't think we drained it low enough and we had a freezing rain and freezing temperature problem where ice backed up into the skimmer and ruined the pool wall. Admittedly, I don't think my husband was all that careful about checking the water levels through the winter, either. I guess he figured after 10 years with no problems he must have been doing something right. 10 years of mild winters, though, lol.

Needless to say, after replacing the pool, I want to be extra cautious this year. My new pool is a 21' round Aqua Leader with all resin components. Aqua Leader recommends draining it 18" below the skimmer opening. Other literature I've read says 6".

Is it just me, or does 18" seem like a lot?

Anyway, I'm curious what most of you do.
    21ft AG, DE filter

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: How far below the skimmer do you drain your above ground?

18" sounds like a lot to me, too. I guess it depends on how much rain and snow you typically get over the winter. Maybe compromise and do 12" since you had a problem last year with not having it drained low enough.

For my pool, I have always done about 6 inches. But, I recently bought a new cover. Unlike my old cover which let no water in, this one is a tightly woven mesh which will let water drain through it into the pool. So, I will probably go a little lower than in past years.

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

I drain to just below the return hole, anything that adds to the volume (rain/snow) will just run back out the return hole and down a board that I lean against the pool there to direct the water away from the pool (once it liquifies anyways).

Nothing ever raises the level enough to get up to the skimmer except snow which will melt and run out.
    Don't cover the pool either, just sits there with a lower water level - it's best/least troublesome way that I found to winterize - just lower water and disconnect equipment.
    A couple of leaves in spring are the least of my worries, I vac them out WAY before temps get high enough to cause algae issues.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Till I strike oil...

"and up from the ground come a-bubblin' crude. Oil, that is. Black gold. Texas tea."

Then I buy a new pool!
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread