+ Reply to Thread

Thread: broken polaris pump

Default broken polaris pump

My polaris pump is broken. When I turn it on it just hums.

It makes a noise so I know it is getting elec.

What do I check next.

This is my 4th season with the pump, I do run it 8 hours a day everyday all season long.

Default Re: broken polaris pump

This problem sounds like there was a seal leak that allowed water to damage and "seize" the front bearings in the pump. This most often happens when the pump runs dry. The seal will generate a lot of heat from friction and melt the impeller and possibly the sealplate/bracket. The best option is a new pump. Have a qualified pool-tech check it.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Cool Re: broken polaris pump

Quote Originally Posted by thepoolman1 View Post
    This problem sounds like there was a seal leak that allowed water to damage and "seize" the front bearings in the pump. This most often happens when the pump runs dry. The seal will generate a lot of heat from friction and melt the impeller and possibly the sealplate/bracket. The best option is a new pump. Have a qualified pool-tech check it.
    While that may very well be what's going on, I suggest giving the motor a few 'hits' with either a 2X4 or the butt end of a hammer's handle, while the pump is running - there is always the chance that the starter switch is just a little rusted (though, this can also be caused by shaft seal failure). Poconos knows this better than I, he may have some better advice. If the 2X4 advice works, there are ways to clean the slightly corroded connections If this doesn't work - open the back of the motor and try to turn the shaft with a screwdriver, if it's only slightly seized, it should turn for you ~fairly easily.

The problem may just be moisture getting into the unit over the past 4 years and causing slight corrosion, which can be dealt with by doing what I said. If all else fails, a new motor is in order -- should you find that you need a new motor, we, here, can 'walk' you through the replacement.

I sincerely hope that you can fix this without having to replace the motor! If you need any other help with this, we'll be here!!
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Anything that can't be fixed by whacking it with a 2x4 just isn't worth having anyway.
    Tom Wood
    15K IG Plaster, Sand Filter, Polaris 180

I see a replacement pump is $250. It looks really simple to swap out, so If whacking it with a board and taking it apart does not work, I am pretty sure I can solve this problem.

thanks for the info.

What do I do to keep this from happening again 2 years from now?

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Cool Re: broken polaris pump

Good luck with the fix/ replacement! Let us know if you need any advice

Preventing it from happening again depends on what the original problem was. If it was the shaft seal, just periodicly check for drips under the pump - if you see some one of the seals needs to be replaced before the leak can do damage. If it's slight corrosion freezing things up, try to keep the motor as dry as possible and treat the connections with an approved rust inhibitor. Avoid splashing chemical leaden pool water on the pumps. Finally, hope for a better pump this time
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Quote Originally Posted by aquarium View Post
    Anything that can't be fixed by whacking it with a 2x4 just isn't worth having anyway.

I opened my pool today. The polaris booster pump was just humming. (I never fixed the problem last season, I just closed the pool)

I hit the pump with a hammer and it started to work!

Talking Re: broken polaris pump

Quote Originally Posted by sunofthebeach View Post
    I opened my pool today. The polaris booster pump was just humming. (I never fixed the problem last season, I just closed the pool)

I hit the pump with a hammer and it started to work!
    You can thank Al for that one, I was just 'parroting' his recommendation. Glad that it worked!!
    Luv & Luk, Ted

When the shaft seal leaks, water gets to the pump motor front bearing and it eventually siezes. Most people replace the pump motor at this point. The motor can be repaired. I learned this procedure from a repairman who let me watch. Good thing as he is no longer in business. My pump motors (Polaris and pool circulation) are 20+ years old and both have been repaired 2-3 times. Here's how.

1) remove motor w/ pump attached. Wiring will need to be disconnected from motor to allow work on motor. PIA.
    2) remove cover from rear end of motor and there's a flat on pump shaft that can be grabbed w/ vise grips to hold the pump shaft.
    3) Holding pump shaft, use a strap wrench or special pump wrench to turn the pump impellor (CCW I think?) and remove impellor from pump shaft.
    4) There are 4, long thru-body bolts that hold the motor assy together and must be removed. They are long small diameter bolts and some may twist off. Apply heat and take your time. I've always managed to get 3/4 out, and have left the 4th off. The sheared ends can be drilled out and replaced but machine shop help may be necessary.
    5) Remove motor end nearest pump and you can access the siezed bearing on the motor rotor shaft assy. You will likely need a bearing puller to pull the bearing off the shaft. Clean shaft w/ emery cloth and lube to allow bearing to move easier.
    6) Replace bearing and reassemble. I found the bearing and pump shaft seal at Warehouse Pool Supply in Houston. They are available on line from numerous sources.

You can also replace the bearing at the rear end of the pump motor but it rarely fails.

If you watch the pumps and note when shaft seal begins to leak you can avoid this repair as the shaft seal is readily accessed for replacement.

good luck

+ Reply to Thread