+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Solid Winter Cover Advise Needed

Default Solid Winter Cover Advise Needed

Hi All you Pool Pros!!!

We are seriously considering buying a solid winter cover. Have a price on Loop Loc and also Performance Pool.

We're trying to decide between the solid cover with built in mesh drains or a completely solid cover that uses a pump.

Any advice?

Thanks!!!
    :D New and Need Help ;)

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Smile Re: Solid Winter Cover Advise Needed

Calicat, welcome to the forum!

The solid covers are very heavy! As such they are a little harder to put on and take off. They are now making a tighter weave mesh cover (sunblock weave) which we started to install last fall - the results from 1 season (with a December in which the temps never got to freezing) are that they significantly reduce the formation of algae which is often seen with regular mesh covers. The solid covers are also harder to clean, dry, fold and store.

If you want the solid cover, I would get the on with the vents. My reasoning is that the water is constantly being removed from the cover. Water weight can stress the springs so much that they warp to the point that you can't even get the cover tool into them, necessitating replacement periodicly. Though a pump would allow you to keep a totally solid cover ~ water-free, any pump problems could leave you with a cover full of heavy water. (AS a note - the vents will leave you with a rectangle of fine debris directly underneath them in the spring which you'll have to vac up - but this is minor because you'll probably have to vac anyway because worms like to crawl under the cover and drown themselves)

Again, welcome to the forum!! - waste
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Default Re: Solid Winter Cover Advise Needed

Hi,

I got so tired of opening to pea soup every year from using the black mesh tarp covers so I bought a sold winter "Hugger" cover and used it last winter. I live in western PA where it freezes, thaws, refreezes from Nov to April sometimes.

I was loathe to drill holes in the composite decking and so we used concrete blocks to hold it on the deck. That was a mistake too.

Good news was - when I opened this year the water was crystal clear! Unfortunately, there was only half a pool full of it. (We have a 16X32 AG with a 6.5' deep end) I guess we were lucky the sides didn't buckle.

Apparently the weight of the ice dropped the cover into the pool and forced the water up and over the edges. The ice also broke the skimmer cover into little pieces.

I contacted the California maker who was rather cynical about the "physics" of it all, admonishing me to keep the water drained off. Guess he doesn't have to worry about ice and the freeze/thaw cycle of northern winters. I do but I never thought to ask about it before buying. Expensive mistake.

I agree with "Waste" that if you get one, get one with a mesh insert. I'm contemplating "customizing" mine with one if I can. Wonder if there's any glue out there that can withstand high clorine/cold temperatures.

CoffeeBean

Davenj is offline Lifetime Member Thread Analyst Davenj 0

I'm probably not among the norm, that does not cover the pool. Going to try putting a leaf net across this fall, remove it before freeze. Yes, I do have a swamp every spring. Bringing the pool back up isn't bad, just takes a few days of shocking with bleach and constant filtering/backwash.

I have a mesh safety cover, but install a 10 mil black plastic cover underneath it laying on top of the water. An automatic cover drain pump sits on the plastic under cover. For the past 4 years I have opened to water that looks good enough to swim in (except for a few of those suicidal worms!).

My pool is a 33 x 18 freeform, and this solution is probably not practical for a pool much larger.

~Rick~
    18,000G freeform gunite; PebbleSheen; Sta-Rite System 3 Cartridge; Sta-Rite heater; Polaris AutoClear Cl Generator; Polaris 380 cleaner

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Thumbs up Re: Solid Winter Cover Advise Needed

Coffee, good to see you're still here (OK it's been ~ a moth since the post but...)

You can contact the cover's manufacturer and see if they can't add the vents. We have to have sections of covers repaired every year due to mice or ants chewing holes in some sections They should be able to add the vents at a relatively small charge -- to make the cost even less, remove the springs before shipping it

As it's so late in the end i=of the season, you can make inquiries this winter and have the 'fix' made next spring when you uncover the pool.

Have a good winter and I hope to see you here next pool season!!
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Thanks Waste. Here's to a good winter for us all. And hopefully the forum will still be here next spring.

CoffeeBean

If poolforum disappears, we can always meet at pooltalk.info or troublefreepool

With Ben being MIA, it's about the best we can hope for

Have a good winter!!
    Luv & Luk, Ted

+ Reply to Thread