Today, it's sunny and clear, but the temperature outside was down to 50 last night and now, is in the high 70's. But it's September in the NorthEast and that means lots of rainy days and overcast skies. If it's sunny, my solar panels can still get the pool up to nice swimming temperatures, and the solar cover (which will be trashed after the season) is still holding heat it, while it's not shedding plastic bubbles.

So it's time to think about closing and plan for it.

Personally, I only use 2 chemicals: Chlorine and Polyquat (60%). I've had very good luck, opening each spring to clear water, just with lots of pollen and winter dust on the bottom.

Actually, I use a third chemical: Teflon lubricant to lube and protect O-rings over the winter so they don't dry out.

Here's how I prefer to do it.

1) Get my ordinary pool chemistry as close to perfect as I can. Then raise pH to the 7.6-7.8 range. Meanwhile, I pull out the ladder and drop-in stairs, power-wash and store them.

2) Let the water get cold. I turn off the solar panels and remove the solar cover (which is either cleaned, dried and stored, or trashed). I want the water to be AT LEAST in the low 60's when I close--50's is better.

3) I run the Free Chlorine level up the shock level appropriate for my Stabilizer/CYA level. Since CYA is around 40ppm, Shock Level is 15ppm.

4) I add a quart of Polyquat 60% algaecide to the return stream and let it act for 48 hours.

5) I then check my FC level, which usually has dropped like a stone (from the Polyquat) to very low levels--even zero. Don't panic, it's normal.

6) I add bleach/Liquid Chlorine to bring FC back to Shock Level (again, this year it's 15ppm). Now I'm ready to physically close the pool.

7) I backwash the filter, turn off the skimmer's ball valve (you can plug it instead), and, while backwashing, let the water drain down below the returns, at least a couple of inches. If you have a cartridge, you can just pump to waste, but I figure I'll backwash my sand filter at the same time--with that 15ppm FC water to kill anything growing in the filter.

8) I plug the returns, the low drain, and put the Aquador on the skimmer and screw in a Gizmo. If you don't have the Aquador, the Gizmo should be enough, but you can protect it better by using Al's trick and stuffing pieces of a kid's noodle in it--you can do both together. This prevents ice from forming in the skimmer completely and expanding and breaking it...the Gizmo and the foam get crushed by the ice instead, and displace a lot of water.

Plugging the low drain can be cold. I have an inexpensive wet-suit that allows me to get into the pool when the water's really cold, but usually I can reach the low drain from the side--I'll put on a neoprene glove so even if my arm is icing up, my hand still works. In the spring I duct-tape a slip-joint wrench to a length of wood to unscrew the low plug--necessity is the mother of invention!

9) Now I disconnect the plumbing. I have quick releases EVERYWHERE to make it easy--at each return, the skimmer and the low drain. Ball valves double as quick releases--mostly I have the valve on the hose and base part stays on the pool--that way the valve isn't wintering.

10) Every ball valve and quick-release has an O-ring. Unless ALL your valves and quick-releases are the same brand, you'll need to mark them. I grab a box of sandwich bags and a Sharpie and write the ID for the O-ring on a baggie, coat each one with teflon lube, slide it into the baggie, press out all the air and seal it. I do the same with the BIG O-ring from the 6-Way valve.

**** The next two steps may be different if you have an integrated filter and pump, or a DE or Cart filter.

11) I drain the hoses and store them, disconnect the pump from the filter and drain it and empty its strainer. It goes in the basement.

12) I drain the filter and remove the 6-way valve. I leave the drain open. I put in the gadget that keeps the center pipe centered, cover the filter with a contractor's garbage bag, and duct-tape it tight. No duct tape goes on the filter but only on the bag. The O-Ring from the 6-Way valve gets lubed and bagged, and the valve gets stored.

13) Now I drain my solar panels. This is a pain because mine have hoses that go from panel to panel and I have about 30 panels (all 4'x2', not the 4'x20' most people have--after all my panels are also my deck). I hook up the shop vac to blow them out, but I find I have to disconnect a lot of the hoses to get them clear. I also remove any leaking panels for repair or replacement.

14) FINALLY, I can put on my winter cover. I have a safety mesh. I used to put a pillow under it but I no longer bother--it isn't necessary.

15) Now I go to clearing and storing all the other summer fun stuff--umbrellas, swim toys, the Blue Diamond, and disconnect and take down the outdoor speakers. I don't REALLY need to do that, but we NEVER use them when we are outside in the winter, so I have quick releases for them, for their wiring as well, so why let them weather?

Then I'm done....